Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Desktops for Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Looking at getting some virtual desktop software (pref. free) for my XP machine. But I'd like each of the desktops to have their own sets of shortcuts and icons - ie, have totally separate and unique workspaces.

I've found a couple programs that create virtual desktops for XP, but haven't found one that claims it's able to do exactly what I'm looking for, in having each desktop with its own shortcuts. Has anyone seen anything like this, out there for download?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

I've had Dexpot installed for a while now with no problems. From your description, I think it will do what you want.

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Dexpot is nice. There's still one thing missing that I want to see, though.

I have icons on my desktop. "\documents and settings\dnder\desktop" for example, and that's fine. But when I switch the desktop 2, I only want to see the icons that are there for "\documents and settings\all users\desktop" which includes significantly fewer shortcuts, and none of my saved documents. As it is now, I see everything on the \dnder\desktop\ on all 4 dexpot desktops.

Is there a setting or behavior I can configure to correct this?

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

Is there a setting or behavior I can configure to correct this?

In short, yes, but there are some steps to be taken.

Wish I could explain it simply but the best I can do is point you to the Dexpot: Quick Start Guide (<-direct download of a 191.2KB pdf file). Or if you prefer, you can download it from the Dexpot Support page.

In the guide on Page(6), is Section 3.3 "Distributing Desktop Icons to Different Virtual Desktops", about the middle of the page. It starts out explaining how to drag icons from one desktop to another. One note here, at the top of page(7) it says to "Right-click a free area". It is referring to a free area of the Desktop Manager not the desktop itself.

I suspect though, what might help you out more is at the top of page(8) in the guide which explains how to remove icons from a given virtual desktop. Although you will need to read from the beginning of Section 3.3 to understand how to access the remove icons feature.

One other note, if you have a HIPS type program installed, it may get cranky when Dexpot starts trying to remove icons from a virtual desktop. ThreatFire did. I just had to tell ThreatFire to "allow" and "remember".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users