Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Issue.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pperrinent

pperrinent

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

I have a bug that can not be found. Everytime I start my compute the file name svchost.exe take up all the processor. I end the the process using the task window and computer runs fine. Eventually I have to reinstall my printer. Have scanned my system many times with Norton, PCTool and neither have been able to help. Talking to the Norton support center staff and they tell me that it is a bug but they can not find and fix. They also say that I am only suppose to have two svchost.ext and I have 5 or more. Any suggestions? Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

If someone told you there should never be more than two svchost.exe processes running, he is wrong. There can be a bunch of them - but they should not eat up 100% of the cpu.. If this is a constant problem you should post in the malware forum here.

#3 pperrinent

pperrinent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Allen, just read up on the amount of Svchost files that can be running and your correct. I just have to find the one that is taking control of my system??? Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Louis

#5 pperrinent

pperrinent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Louis, thank you and I have read that and it is above my IQ. Norton staff said I have a bug but could not determine were and how to fix without spending lots of $$. Were does one turn?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

A bug? Did they say that your system was infected? What type of "bug"?

Did they send you an email? If so, please post the pertinent content...thanks :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users