Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buffalo 500GB External USB Hard Drive wants to be reformatted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ian MacK

Ian MacK

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

Help please !!!!!

I have a Buffalo HD-PV500U2/BK USB external hard drive which I had started loading folders and files from various laptops, desktop PCs etc in order to one complete back-up system (main file save on 2TB Dell desktop PC with back-up on Buffalo)

Went to continue file movements over the weekend and got error message - "drive needs to be re-formatted"

Obviously I know what this means for all the files already on the drive ..................

Called Buffalo technical helpline who, although very friendly etc said the only option would be to re-format.
They explained that the drive was probably disconnected without using the "safely remove hardware" utility - I suspect my daughter is guilty to re-charge her iPod ......

Anyway, bottom line is that I was moving files and a number of them have no back-up on another drive.

Any suggestions, advice, help on utilities that will read the drive and let me copy / recover ???

I have tried 'Recuva' but although it can see all the existing folders and files it says they have been over-written (by the same file names) - I think it's doing this because in reality the folders and files have not actually been deleted.

Thanks

Ian MacK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

Have you tried plugging it into another computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hi dc3 - thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have tried the USB external hard drive into another desktop PC and laptop with same result.

IanMacK

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Perhaps give this a try.

We will hope that all that is corrupted is the lead in tracks on the external disk. If that is the case then I have had good luck with the above posted program.

#5 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

Hi ThunderZ

Super solution - ran the Fast Intellectual Scan - it mounted the external drive as A: and I'm now copying my folders / files to the office network drive (although it's a slow process) and will then reformat the external drive and back-save the folders to my external drive.
A very useful utility.

Than you very much !!! much appreciated !!

Ian MacK

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hi ThunderZ

Super solution - ran the Fast Intellectual Scan - it mounted the external drive as A: and I'm now copying my folders / files to the office network drive (although it's a slow process) and will then reformat the external drive and back-save the folders to my external drive.
A very useful utility.

Than you very much !!! much appreciated !!

Ian MacK

:thumbup2: Glad it worked out for you.

Fortunately there was only some corrupted data that the OS placed at the start of the disk to deal with. Find and mount was able to read and repair it.
That little piece of software has rescued many a data bit for me from all sorts of thought bad drives.

Edited by ThunderZ, 20 January 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#7 ComputerJunky112

ComputerJunky112

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I'm adding this elsewhere on line b/c it was such a frustration and b/c I'm so happy to have it fixed.

My Buffalo 500GB (HD-PCT500U2/B-US) hard drive went down last week and was unusable (it said “reformat needed”). I’ve read numerous posts by people who simply threw away their HDD when this happened.

1. I took some advice from an IT friend at Siemens and and he had me run the following hard drive check:

“You can plug it in and go to command line and the drive letter for your external followed by : and then hit enter then type ATTRIB -S -H *.* /S /D press enter”

At this point, command prompt said "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)".

2. I Googled “cyclic redundancy check” and came up with the following link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Cyclic-Redundancy-Check-Error

3. I followed the instructions at that url. It took several hours, but it repaired the HDD, which is now usable again.

Glad I didn't throw it away. . . .

#8 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm happy that you were able to rescue your drive but the problem you describe is not the same as the problem that the OP describes in this thread. They would not have been able to go to the drive in the command line and would have gotten an error upon trying it...

“You can plug it in and go to command line and the drive letter for your external followed by : and then hit enter then type ATTRIB -S -H *.* /S /D press enter”

They had no identifiable file system on their drive due to corruption of the boot sector of that volume. Not only would they be unable to choose the affected drive letter without receiving an error asking to format it but also the ATTRIB command would not have been able to see the files and folders let alone their attributes. That ATTRIB command is rather reckless to do. It is a sledgehammer approach to clearing the 'system' and 'hidden' attributes for all the files on the drive but it can be appropriate as a quick fix for data-only drives where they were affected by a virus that set everything to 'hidden' and 'system'.

Also note that chkdsk is a repair utility when the switches mentioned in that tutorial are used and not a recovery utility. It should be done after important data is backed up.

Here is a post on my blog that I made pertaining to solving the original problem described in this thread.
http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

Note that the last step after recovery is complete and backed up is to run chkdsk.

I replied here not to detract from your victory but to provide clear instruction for anyone who comes across this and has the original problem and not simply a CRC error.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users