Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heda_Madness

Heda_Madness

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:24 AM

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but I thought that this might be the best place...

Anyway, I have a Toshiba Dynabook laptop. I damaged the screen and the only way to use the computer is now with an external screen - just plug in the connection and it worked fine.

However, I bought a new TV and somehow I've managed to screw up the display options on my laptop so that all that is shown on the monitor is the background to my pc. No icons, no options, no nothing.

When I reboot the computer I can see Toshiba Dynabook followed by Windows loading however once Windows has loaded all I get is the background.

Is there any way to reset my display options before Windows loads up? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to reset a display with an internal monitor that is completely broken and an external monitor that shows a background only?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

Sooo...you have a broken laptop screen, and was using your old TV as an external monitor and that was working fine...then you bought a new TV and that TV messed up the settings and now you cant see anything but a part of your desktop background, does that about sum it up? Im just trying to make sure that I got your story straight.

What is your TV make and Model?
What Model is your Toshiba dynabook laptop?

How do you hook your laptop up to the TV, a dual sided VGA cord? or do you use a DVI-VGA or DVI-HDMI or something similiar??

You should be able to right click in the area that you can see on your tv and goto display settings from there, change the resolution to the lowest that you can set it to and see if that changes your display area on the TV. Check your TV settings for the Port that you connected your laptop to (VGA or HDMI..) and check settings for anything related to attached devices such as your laptop.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 Heda_Madness

Heda_Madness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I was using a regular as the monitor and then started to use the new TV (Sharp AQUOS LED LC32SC1). I'm connecting with a regular 15 pin monitor cable (the tv has a 15 pin port)

I think what I've somehow (stupidly) managed to do is to 'extend my windows desktop on to this monitor' however as I can't see the other half of the desktop that's where I have the issues.

I've just tried to right click on properties but unfortunately it won't show the display settings. I get the egg timer but nothing happens

The computer is a Toshiba Dynabook Tecra.

#4 Heda_Madness

Heda_Madness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

Solved it - but it wouldn't have been possible without your help. Thank you!

Basically I right clicked on properties and then went on a fishing expedition trying to drag the properties settings to the other monitor and managed to it.

Thanks for your help!

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Im glad that your problem has been resolved! Good Luck with everything Heda_Madness :)
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users