Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Sound Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:01 PM

Hi All,

I'm actually asking this for someone else whom is running 98 but I've had the same problem and do remember getting an answer here for it but it's been a while so I'm asking it again for this friend. I did suggest to them to join and I think they'll take me up on it. For the mean time while they are doing safety checks I thought that I'd ask here for them. So if someone remembers how to take care of missing sound drivers I'd appreciate hearing from you. Again that is for Windows 98. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:50 PM

There are many sound drivers included with Windows 98 and which would be automatically installed when 98 finds the sound card (you may need to put the Win98 CD in the drive to do this). Try Control Panel>System and delete the sound card (if present) under 'Sound, video and game controllers'. Reboot and Win98 will detect and attempt to install drivers for the card.

Sound drivers are provided by the manufacturers of the sound card. If it is an onboard "card" then the drivers will be on the motherboard CD. If it is a seperate plug-in card then there would have been a driver CD provided with it. If these CDs are no longer available then the drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

If the system is a 'brand name' PC then post the model number and we should be able to find a link to the appropriate driver.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:04 PM

If Win '98 won't reconize the card you will need to identify it so you can manually install the drivers. Does he know what sound card is install or is onboard? It makes a difference.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Ask me anything

Ask me anything

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

go to http://www.drivers.com and click on computer drivers

You may have to pay but it is worth it

Mike

#5 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:33 PM

Or search for the drivers at driverguide.com.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#6 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

Sometimes you can experiment with various other sound drivers on the Windows cd. I've found a working one that way. I've also had to manually edit an .inf file and manually place the .sys and .dll files in their proper location.

Good luck! Something should be available out there to make it work.
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:35 PM

Everest home (hardware and software information) will reveal the sound card, and most everything else.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users