Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi Everyone. This is my First time posting on a Forum

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PappaG

PappaG

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:48 AM

Hi Everyone.

This is my first time becoming a member of a forum and posting questions.

If I go wrong or post in the wrong place please let me know (as I am sure admins will :thumbup2: ).

Of course the reason for joining is that I have a problem (Google search results redirecting) but also felt it was time I contributed rather than just taking help without returning the compliment.

Would appreciate help with what the Topic Poll is for? and why.

> The name PappaG is a name my son (14 yrs) has given me and I don't know why! (teenagers, bless them)

> I have average knowledge of finding my way around an operating system (windows Only though).

> I am hoping to be able to contribute as I have used computers for 10 yrs so law of averages says I must have learnt something (or experienced it)

> I am mature in age (should have had my mid life crisis by now) but still have a sense of humour. :crazy:

Anyway hoping to meet up with some of you in the forums, discussion groups.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:50 AM

Hi there PappaG, welcome to BC :welcome:

If you think you may have an infection, I would direct your attention to this guide here: How do I get help? Who is helping me? It briefly covers how to request help with malware, what info is needed and how to get it, etc.

As for the "Topic Poll" feature, that's an optional function in certain parts of the forum (General Discussion areas) with which you can create a poll that members can vote in. Like this one I just made. Also note that the poll I created is in the "Tests and Scribbles" forum which, as its name suggests, is where you can post tests and try out different features of the forum without worrying about causing a scene.

Since you're new to using web forums, you might take a tour of our "New User Orientation" forum which is essentially a library of "How To..." guides for using the forum (note, some of them might be a little old, but the concepts are the same.)

#3 PappaG

PappaG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:21 AM

Hi Nightwatchman,

Thanks for the quick response and advice.

I have been going through the steps for the removal of the Google redirect virus (Preparation guide), i.e. backup, checking other options, CD emulation.

I am currently at GMER Log but when finished everything froze (not even task manager, Ctrl+Alt+Del).

I will try it again now and if it happens again will continue with the process.

I will of course post where you suggested and follow the attach (files & text insert).

Just a quick one, should I run Combofix after doing the numbered procedures or wait to hear from the forum?

No more questions unless in the proper forum section, I promise :thumbup2:

Thanks,

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

Just a quick one, should I run Combofix after doing the numbered procedures or wait to hear from the forum?

Please(!) only run ComboFix if instructed by the Staff Member assisting you with your infection clean-up. :wink:

#5 PappaG

PappaG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

Hi ThunderZ,

Thanks for the advice and will do! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users