Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer slow booting up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Popey

Popey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

Hi everyone
My computer has crashed when I start playing with left4 dead and after I rebooted my computer the computer took about 7-10 minutes to boot up completely. This is the fourth day I have tried to fix it and I have just run out of solutions.
Iím using Windows XP Pro SP3
This is what Iíve tried to scan my computer with:
Malware bytesí Anti ĖMalware, SBYbot search and Destroy, Super Anti Spyware and Avast Antivirus. I did a system restore, check disk, registry scan, sfc /scannow, Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks scan and also a Burn in Test scan and all scans have passed all tests. I even used Seatools HDD and it too has passed and I have also uninstalled Windows xp SP3 and reinstalled and nothing has helped to solve my problem.
I think maybe my Master Boot Record has some problems but if I go repair it maybe I going to lose my partition on my HDD.
I appreciate any help given from anyone.
Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:22 AM

Hi Popey -
You have covered almost everything - Have you uninstalled the program that may have caused the problem ??
I do not play L 4 D so I am a bit unsure about the actual program - Can it be removed fully, retest your system and reinstall to see if there is problems ??
Is your CPU running overly high with the game and are heating problems OK ?? Temps generally 50 to 55 C as a rule are high enough most times -
Also assuming you keep fans and cabinet reasonably dust free (as you seem to know all the good things) -

How much RAM is the unit running and do you have a good Video card installed -
Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy
The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

1) How long does it take to boot to safe mode?

2) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

If your MBR was damaged you would be getting an error message like Hard Drive not found, or No operating system installed or partition corrupted.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Open Run - Type msconfig then check how many items you have on startup, if there's any there you don't need to start on boot, then stop them !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Open Run - Type msconfig then check how many items you have on startup, if there's any there you don't need to start on boot, then stop them !

That's fine as a trouble-shooting step, but msconfig should not be used to permanently disable or manage startup items. A simple utility such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel is a much better option (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Msconfig should be used exclusively as a diagnostic tool.

Anyway, since this particular problem appeared after a crash I don't think we need to worry about startup items at the moment.

#7 Popey

Popey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

Hi Popey -
You have covered almost everything - Have you uninstalled the program that may have caused the problem ??
I do not play L 4 D so I am a bit unsure about the actual program - Can it be removed fully, retest your system and reinstall to see if there is problems ??
Is your CPU running overly high with the game and are heating problems OK ?? Temps generally 50 to 55 C as a rule are high enough most times -
Also assuming you keep fans and cabinet reasonably dust free (as you seem to know all the good things) -

How much RAM is the unit running and do you have a good Video card installed -
Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy
The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Hi Noknojon

First, I would like to thank you for the fast reply and here is my computer spec: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dinlEKbGNh2iOtm3VTy4Heg .
I tried to reply earlier but every time I start up my computer; half way into loading my computer it freezes. Yes, Iíve deleted the game and the steam program as well. My computer was fast and responsive for a long time and Iíve never had any problems until this game crashed.
When I checked my bios for anything unusual I noticed my CPU is running on high temperature between 65 - 67 degrees Celsius and I think the temperature is too high for loading very little, so thatís why I downloaded the Burn in Test program and the test results turned out positive. Yes, I am always vacuuming my computer to make sure that itís clean. Thank you very much for your help.

1) How long does it take to boot to safe mode?

2) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Hi Allan

Thank you for the fast reply. The computer is taking more than two minutes to boot into safe mode.
Here is my blue screen report:
==================================================
Dump File : Mini011911-02.dmp
Crash Time : 1/19/2011 1:19:45 PM
Bug Check String : THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000ea
Parameter 1 : 0x89141388
Parameter 2 : 0x8a988ae0
Parameter 3 : 0x8a898420
Parameter 4 : 0x00000001
Caused By Driver : ati2cqag.dll
Caused By Address : ati2cqag.dll+183d3
File Description : Central Memory Manager / Queue Server Module
Product Name : ATI Radeon Family
Company : ATI Technologies Inc.
File Version : 6.14.10.0488
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011911-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 68,000

Dump File : Mini011911-01.dmp
Crash Time : 1/19/2011 10:00:02 AM
Bug Check String : THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000ea
Parameter 1 : 0x893a0da8
Parameter 2 : 0x8a9b94a8
Parameter 3 : 0x8a92cd50
Parameter 4 : 0x00000001
Caused By Driver : ati2cqag.dll
Caused By Address : ati2cqag.dll+17d94
File Description : Central Memory Manager / Queue Server Module
Product Name : ATI Radeon Family
Company : ATI Technologies Inc.
File Version : 6.14.10.0488
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011911-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 68,000
Thank you for your help.

If your MBR was damaged you would be getting an error message like Hard Drive not found, or No operating system installed or partition corrupted.

Hi Dc3

Thank you for the fast reply. I think you are right; itís just a thought that maybe my MBR might be the problem.
Anyway thank you for your help.

Hi Doinmeedin

Thank you for the fast reply. I know about MSconfig; I usually use services to stop unwanted programs.
But in Task Manager I have 58 processes running.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

my CPU is running on high temperature between 65 - 67 degrees Celsius

Yes this is miles too high and will, or has, caused damage to your system - 50 C (125 F) is always a good guide - Over 60 C is usually getting serious -

From what I can find, the Power Supply Unit may be getting faulty, or not able to keep up with your system on the games you are playing - Do you know its size ??

You can also use the command " fdisk /mbr " (without quotes) to check and repair the MBR - The fixmbr will work if XP is installed on the drive.
(From TechSupport Forum)
This is based only on ..Bug Check String :THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER - Bug Check Code : 0x000000ea

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293078 - Also read this M/soft item and check your Video card and update drivers for it -
ATI Radeon HD 2600/3600 Series

Thanks For Now -
EDIT - You seem to have plenty of free space so that is not a problem at all -

Edited by noknojon, 19 January 2011 - 01:56 AM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

The problem appears to be with either your ATI video card or the driver for that card. Please read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293078

#10 Popey

Popey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

Thank you all for your help and support but I have fixed the CPU tempreture but it was the power supply. This video drive from ATI is the newest video drive and it was causing me problems so I have to uninstall it. So, I have come to a decision and I will reformat my hard drive and I think this is my only choice.

Thank you all again for your help and we can close this topic.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

You can always roll back the driver if the previous version worked well. It's entirely up to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users