Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Distributed Computing Projects

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

I'm surprised nobody started a thread about this yet...
Anybody involved in a distributed computing project?? For those of you who don't know, it basically uses your computer's resources while its idle to contribute to a larger project that needs to do a ton of computations and can be broken down into smaller pieces. Distributed computing - Wikipedia
There's tons of different ones, so you can contribute to different causes. List of distributed computing projects

Obviously, it's very little cost on your part, and you get to contribute to research!!
I'm personally doing Computing for Clean Water and The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2, since they align with my science interests. But there's tons more in a variety of fields (especially in medicine, such as curing AIDS or cancer, as well as math, such as computing prime numbers), as you can see in the above link.

Thoughts?

Edited by trashcan7, 18 January 2011 - 01:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

Some of our members have been involved in the Folding@Home project.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic1364.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic132716.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

Wow, I guess I'm not that great at using the search function. :o

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Thanks, that inspired me to reestablish Folding on my system, as part of the BC entry :). I took Folding off earlier this year because of some problem (probably with hard drive or boot files that were damaged) and had forgotten about Folding until now.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users