Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What exactly does "Jailbreaking" mean?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 elaine9

elaine9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

Guess I said it all in the Topic Title and Descriptiom. I've heard the term so often recently, but have no idea what it means. Does it applie to both Apple and Microsoft products?

Elaine9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

Wikipedia article on jailbreaking

I believe it applies mostly to iPhones and iPads and such. As far as I understand, this is where you change the OS such that you are no longer restricted by Apple. For example, people are free to customize their OS, download whatever apps they want, and use it with other carriers.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Completely legal, however if there is any warranty time frame still on the device it becomes voided upon jailbreaking. So sometimes you will see jailbreak and 'brick' or 'bricked' used concurrently. Meaning that during the process of an unsuccessful jailbreaking the device it is now rendered useless.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

The concept is also called 'rooting' for Android based phones. You can also play around with 'hybrid' BlackBerry OSes. Generally those terms mean what the others have posted...removing various restrictions or changing various elements of the interface on the phone by replacing the operating system. In all cases, bricking is a possibility. It's also quite fun. I haven't had the heart to try it with my iPad...a very expensive paperweight if it bricks.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

I have jailbroke my ipod 2g many times as well as my new ipod touch 4g, i wouldn't go a day without it being jailbroken i have gotten so used to it and i love it! :) I only bricked my ipod touch 2g once and it was an easy fix but it was my fault i caused it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 sierrachello

sierrachello

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

PM sent

Edited by sierrachello, 18 May 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#7 Protech_solutions

Protech_solutions

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Jailbreaking pretty much means that you disable your phones restrictions. When iPhone first came out it was restricted on verizon service only and many times people would jailbreak this restriction allowing their iPhone to run on any service. Now you can still jailbreak your phone and customize it anyway you want. Hope this helped.

#8 ineely

ineely

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have been jail breaking for about 4 years. It is completely wonderful. As a matter of fact all the progress that has been made in new features in Androids new phones where taken from rejected tweaks apple turned down from its jail breaking community. This is a fact and many articles on it. Basically your unlocking the operating system it still runs the same way at the core level but the tweaks of jail breaking allow great expanded functioning of the phones capabilities. I highly recomend it and like every one else you just have to read as much as you can on the basics and jump right in you will probably make mistakes but learn  a lot along the way just as I have over 26 years of working on my first store bought pc and all the many others I build since then and now for myself and others as I was a computer consultant made a fortune off windows 95 switch over now everybody builds their own systems mostly and is the only really smart way to go to get exactly what you want for the price you want to pay. I have had them bricked, and every problem present itself possible and have always gotten it fixed by researching it. If its under warranty just return it to its factory state either by totally manually or just upgrade to the next firmware and wipe it all clean before a sale or taking it in for other type of  maintenance. 

#9 Charisse_V

Charisse_V

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Jailbreaking simply means getting your iPad or for that matter any i-device to be able to do something other than what the Cupertino-based company intended it to do. 

Nice if you know how to. The bigger question is a classic why: Why would you want to expand your i-device into other functionality? Jailbreaking requires a lot of techie knowhow and has some inherent dangers. If you love your iPad and is content with what you are having, I strongly suggest you keep it like the first time you got your hands into it.  :guitar:

#10 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Jailbreaking requires a lot of techie knowhow and has some inherent dangers. If you love your iPad and is content with what you are having, I strongly suggest you keep it like the first time you got your hands into it.  :guitar:

There are more than enough guides, tutorials, and how-to's for even the newest adventurer to keep his device safe. Anyone can do it, one just has to be motivated or curious enough to find out how :)

Unofficial iOS Genius

#11 Iceandfire122

Iceandfire122

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

Jailbreaking allows u to have administrative access like put tweaks change themes ect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users