Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec Endpoint Protection has stopped working!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slabotron

slabotron

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

I was using my laptop earlier today when it shut off all of a sudden. I figured it had overheated because it was very hot. But then I noticed that Symantec wasn't working. On the main screen it says "File system Auto-protect is not function correctly. Your protection definitions may be damaged or your product installation may be corrupt."

When I try to run a scan, it starts and then immediately says "completed." Also, liveupdate will download half of the new definitions and then get stuck until I cancel it.

I've already reinstalled in at it's exactly the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I should mention that I'm using Windows 7

Edited by slabotron, 18 January 2011 - 10:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:30 AM

I had the same problem...try open main screen, than click options of "Antivirus and Antispyware Protection" and "change settings". Check on the "File System Auto-Protect" tab - if it is turned on it's OK, if not - do this.
You can also download the latest deifinitions update from http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Virus_Definitions_200820092010_d5772.html and try to install it.

Edited by ichito, 18 January 2011 - 01:31 AM.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#3 slabotron

slabotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Thank you for the response. I did what you suggested but it said it was already turned on. Turning it off and then on had no effect. Also, I downloaded the updates like you suggested but they wouldn't install. Almost immediate I got the message: "All updates failed to install on the machine. For more details about the processing, please check the log file 'log.intelligentupdater.txt' created in the user's temporary directory." I searched for this file but the search didn't find it.

Does anyone else have any advice? I'm really freaked out by this

#4 slabotron

slabotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Nevermind, I fixed it. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users