Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:26 PM

If you were to do a re-install of Windows XP, without formatting the hard drive so you don't have to re-install programs, and there's a trojan or some other malware running on your computer, would the re-install be a waste of time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

If there is a form of malware living amongst your data, then yes, reinstalling Windows without formatting would not eliminate it from your computer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

Do a wipe of your drive. Use Active@KillDisk. This will over write your old data with 0's making it almost impossible to recover.
If you want to DoD wipe use it 7 times instead of paying for the professional verison, or use Digital Dolly 1.0. It'sone of my personal favorite utilities. It does everything the Active@KillDisk does and more. And it's free. Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:38 AM

I don't think deltacoolguy wants to wipe his hard drive since he means to keep his installed programs.

@ daltacoolguy: why don't you get rid of the malware, if necessary with the help of the HijackThis experts here, and if you still have problems, just use the scannow option to check your system files.
Whatever happens, make believe it was intended to ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image - If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stand Up & Be Counted --> Posted Image <-- And make a difference

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:44 AM

I understood. I was expanding, on Albert Frankenstein's reply and giving an option that would reduce the threat.
Nice observation BMThor.

Edited by acklan, 12 December 2005 - 08:45 AM.

#6 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:06 AM

@ daltacoolguy: why don't you get rid of the malware, if necessary with the help of the HijackThis experts here, and if you still have problems, just use the scannow option to check your system files.

I tried, but nobody answered my post. I have a file that I believe is the culprit, but it will not delete. I tried HJT and Killbox and this file causes both programs to become non-responsive. This is the file from hell. I was hoping maybe I could re-install windows, as alot of my work programs are on here also and are a pain to re-install themselves, but upon further thinking I didn't think it would work and wanted to verify that.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:24 AM

The HJT folks are pretty busy - but they will get to your logfile!

HJT isn't alone can't be relied upon to fix your problems. All HJT does is point to areas that are most commonly attacked by malware/hijackers/etc. If you use it to "fix" an entry - that's all you've done, fix that one entry. This doesn't address the bad stuff on your system that caused it in the first place! Nor does it prevent the bad stuff from doing it again.

That's where the skills developed by the HJT experts comes in. They use the clues from the HJT logs to figure out what's causing the problem - and then will show you how to eradicate it fully!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:50 AM

If you have modified your HJT log, the one you submitted will be inaccurate and the HJT Team will not be able to advise you accurately. Modification to the HJT log/registry will can how your system should be repaired.
The HJT Team are professionals thaqt volunteer thier time to help members of this site. With that sid, you will not receive better support anywhere. That includes paid services.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:06 PM

The HJT Team are professionals thaqt volunteer thier time to help members of this site. With that sid, you will not receive better support anywhere

Hopefully someday that statement will apply to me too!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

If it didn't I don't think you would be on the team :thumbsup: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users