Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot Win 7 OS disc

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 racecoach

racecoach

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Greetings!

I've a Dell Latitude D530

This laptop has a DVD drive.

I've set the bios to boot from the DVD first and the the hard drives.

I've also pressed F12 to do a one time boot preference and tried to boot from a DVD.

The problem: I am trying to install Win 7, 64bit, but I cannot get my machine to boot from the DVD/CD drive.

I've replaced the DVD Drive and the motherboard.

Also, as mentioned, I've tried numerous things to get the laptop to recognize the DVD drive as a bootable drive.

Is there something quirky about the Win 7 installation DVD?

Anyway, I sure could use some suggestions.

Thanks for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

If the OS you're replacing was 32-bit, then you will have to format the drive before installing the 64-bit OS.

#3 racecoach

racecoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for your reply.

But I would ask in reply to your answer.....Why?

When I replace the 32 with a 64, shouldn't the system just create a windows.old file that contains the 32 bit program?

Additionally, this does not go to the source of my problem - that is the DVD drive is not being recognized as being bootable.

The drive spins up, as if it is being read, but then the current 32 bit windows starts.

I have researched this problem on other forums, but there has been no suitable resolution posted.

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

I really don't know why. I just know that when I tried to install Vista Home Premium 64-bit over top of my 32-bit version, it just won't work. It won't give you a Windows.old folder either because the two different bit versions are not compatible with each other. I had the exact same problems you are describing. I spent hours on the phone with Dell's tech support and then Microsoft's support. It was Microsoft who informed me that I had to start with a freshly formatted clean drive because of the different bit formats. Since I wasn't entirely convinced that this was my problem, I grabbed another drive, installed it as the second drive in my desktop and formatted it. I then removed the "C" drive with the 32-bit Vista, replaced it with the blank drive, and then everything went smoothly. Vista Home Premium 64-bit performed really well for about three days before it began crashing, freezing up, and doing all of the other things that Vista is known to do. That is why I now have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Now that I don't have to babysit Vista all day long anymore, I just don't know what to do with all of the extra time I have on my hands. I just sit at my PC whenever I want and surf the web, play games, and do whatever else I want.

#5 racecoach

racecoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

Well, I guess I'll try to format.

What did you use to format the drive?

What did you do about the Dell drivers?

Thanks for your reply.

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

I installed the drivers after the install. Windows 7 will use its default drivers for the installation. I checked Dell's support site and your laptop isn't listed as supporting Windows 7. Have you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to be certain it is compatible? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx
I had a Dell XPS-420 that didn't offer driver support for Windows 7 but it passed the upgrade advisor requirements and worked fine using the Vista 64-bit drivers.
I formatted using the Windows formatting utility available when you right-click the drive in the Computer explorer.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

With all due respect, formatting the hd would have NOTHING to do with booting to the DVD. The hd doesn't even come into play when trying to boot to a different device.

Is the dvd an original, retail copy of Windows 7? And are you certain the dvd drive is working properly?

#8 racecoach

racecoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

First my Latitude D530 is supported by Win 7. I currently have the 32 bit version loaded.

DVD - it is definitely working. I can play DVD's and the DVD drive recognizes the Win 7 installation disk, i.e., I can browse this disk.

I am still a little reluctant in formatting my hd as this sound like a pain.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

Is the dvd an original, retail copy of Windows 7?

#10 racecoach

racecoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

Oh sorry for not answering this question.

Yes, it is an original (not OEM) version of Win 7 Professional, 64 bit.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

Oh sorry for not answering this question.

Yes, it is an original (not OEM) version of Win 7 Professional, 64 bit.

Okay - just wanted to make sure it wasn't a copy of an original disk..

Let's make sure the system sees the optical device at boot - please insert any other bootable dvd or cd into the drive and see if you can boot to it.

#12 racecoach

racecoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

This is the interesting part.

My DVD drive doesn't recognize any of the Windows DVD and CD's that I have.

However, when I insert the CD that has the bios flash - it recognizes and boots to this cd.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

That's odd. The only other thought I have is to reset the bios to default. Remove the cmos battery and unplug from AC power for a few minutes. Then replace the battery and make sure the bios is set to boot from the optical device first and reboot. But other than that - if indeed your Windows disks ARE original retail versions - I have to admit I'm stumped.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

Also, if you choose to go ahead and follow the previous advice about reformatting (and honest to goodness I cannot figure out why that would help but at this point.....), just create an image of your drive first so that if worse comes to worst you can get back to where you started. If you don't use disk imaging software, download and use Macrium Reflect (best free option).

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and choose the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information about performing a custom installation, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7‍.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users