Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI Neo2/865pe Platinum, Cache size

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AcuCrack

AcuCrack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hello everyone,

New to this forum, looks like a cool site, will be back many times in the future. I have a question for anybody who knows what size my MSI Neo2/865pe Platinum motherboard cache will handle. I currently have a p4 socket 478 3.2ghz northwood cpu w/512 cache. On this mobo it only runs at 400 FSB(design limits?). I know this is an older board/cpu but I'm looking to upgrade the cpu to a p4 3.2ghz prescot w/1m cache that will get me to 800 FSB, I can buy one new(oem) for $10. Along with adding more ram to 4gb(now at 1gb), hoping to speed some things up. If this board can handle more cache, maybe up to 2mb, I can get an p4 extreme cpu. I have looked in the manual and online, can't find what cache limits are for this board.

Just looking to see how I can get more performance out of my home built 7yr old computer that has been very dependable. If I can upgrade some things for maybe $100 then I don't need to spend $2000-$3000 on building a new I7 based monster when this one still works.

Thank you for any information.

Edited by AcuCrack, 17 January 2011 - 09:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

ummm as long as the socket types match i dont see y it wouldnt work as an upgrade

Edited by Blaze413, 17 January 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Most motherboards I am familiar with do not have a cache so to speak, thats all in the CPU itself. With Intel CPUs, as long as the CPU has the same socket type, and supports the faster bus speed, it should work.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 AcuCrack

AcuCrack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

OK, I did not know if the mobo had limits or not with cache. So I take it that any 478 socket(intel) cpu with fit my mobo. Thanks.

Edited by AcuCrack, 17 January 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

Physically, it will fit.

Questions- Does the current BIOS support the newer CPU? Does MSI even list BIOS's for that board (I took a quick look, couldn't find it)?

Personally I would not try any CPU that pulls more than 90 watts in that motherboard. The voltage supply section on those boards were iffy (whats new MSI). It might run an EE edition, but for how long? Prescotts generally run hotter than Northwoods, another consideration. For $10 it might be fun to play with, just don't have any expectations of a noticeably quicker system.

You really will not notice any performanace difference swapping out those CPUs listed. Been there done that. You might bump total memory to 2 gig, if you can do it really cheap. I don't know what OS you are running, but unless you have a 64bit OS, more than 3 gigs of mem is a waste. If you are running XP, 2 gig is more than enough. Just one of those situations where every penny you put into this current system, is money you will never get back, as nothing can be carried forward to a newer system when you build it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users