Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Terminator?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

What are your opinions on it?
It can be downloaded from here

I needed a real time anti-malware program, so I decided to try it out. Is it worth the resources it's using?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:47 AM

ST is a good program - a quick scan of the system, the list of detected applications that can be easily edited (trusted-untrusted), but mostly a very good HIPS. For this reason, and possible frequent alerts part of the user removes it from your computer.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:06 AM

For what it`s worth.

A review of Spyware Terminator at PC Mag.com. It` was written back in 2007. Perhaps the program has improved since then.

The current program does appear to still be supported as the d\l shows a date of Dec. 2010

#4 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

I read some articles N.J. Rubneking but that of ST has not yet. Opinion on the ST at that time was even worse, and some were among the ST category of "rogue software" - it was on the lists of such software. Another thing - that was the program with the same name, which was really a malicious program and some users don't distinguish between them. ST is now "clear" to me ... the program a few years ago was removed from the list of suspect software ... and it is worth at least trying out how it works :)

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#5 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:06 PM

For what it`s worth.

A review of Spyware Terminator at PC Mag.com. It` was written back in 2007. Perhaps the program has improved since then.

The current program does appear to still be supported as the d\l shows a date of Dec. 2010

I saw that review, but from what I gathered, its been vastly improved.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Spyware Terminator was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of concerns that the vendor (Crawler) had connections with a known adware distributor (IBIS). See the note on this historical page. Initial testing found no problems with the software but out of caution it was monitored for several months, retested and again no problems were found which would continue to justify its listing as a "rogue/supect" program.

Since then, the developers of Spyware Terminator have vastly improved their product. The program is free, easy to use, provides real-time protection to guard your system and offers an option for Host based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) protection. It is a good free alternative if you want its protection without having to pay. IMO Spyware Terminator works very well with other real-time security programs and I have used it for several years without any issues.

Starting with v2.1.0.313, Web Security Guard was included in the download but not required. After installation you will be prompted to Enable Web Security Guard Toolbar. This browser add-on (similar to Site Advisor) is enabled by default but you can uncheck the box if you do not want it installed. If you install WSG by mistake, it can easily be removed later via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

If you already have anti-virus protection, there is no need to install the optional Clam AntiVirus integration. ClamAV does not have a real time scanning engine but you can integrate it into ST's Realtime Shield to include virus scanning support. However, ClamWin has partnered with Ask.com and now bundles the Ask Toolbar (optional) with the ClamWin setup file. I do not recommend using that toolbar.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

thanks for the informative response, Quietman :)
Good to know its a program worth having

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016