Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply upgraded needed - But I've got a really weird one (can I run 2 at same time?)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cbbeast

cbbeast

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

Here is my new computer: (it was ubercheap) http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12253_div/12253_div.HTML

HP Compaq DC7600 Desktop Computer – Intel Pentium 4 3GHz, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, Combo, Windows XP Pro

It has a "small form factor" and thus a weak power supply (240Watt) it will barely run the video card I added. Play a video and the computer turns off.

I bought a replacement "micro atx" power supply (350W) but it's still not the right shape. (the stock power supply is kind of L shaped)

I figured 'no big deal, I'll just mount the PS to the outside of the computers case. However, HERE IS THE PROBLEM.

Normal Power supplies have a main mother board plug (maybe 12 pins) and another 4 pin plug for the mother board. Mine has the normal 'main' mother board plug and a 6 PIN PLUG on the mother board.

I've tried two different power supplies that both have the same 4 pin plugs, but I NEED 6. What can I do? (run 2 power supplies?)

Could I keep running the stock power supply to the 6 pin plug and another 'new' PS for the main motherboard plug, hard drive, ext. I worry running 2 power supplies will fry the mother board do to grounding issues.

HP's tech support says there are no other power supplies to the sell that fit this machine. Anyone ever see a power supply like this?

Edited by cbbeast, 17 January 2011 - 11:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cbbeast

cbbeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

Here is the motherboard specs

Motherboard
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model 09F8h
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model i945P/PL/G/GZ
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801GB (ICH7/R)
Southbridge Revision A1
BIOS
Brand Hewlett-Packard
Version 786D1 v01.03
Date 05/18/2005

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

What does the 6pin plug look like? Is it a double row (3 pins/row) or 6 pins inline?

Inline 6 is the flat connector in the middle: http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/6-pin-aux-connector-adapter.php

EDIT: I just went on the HP site and cannot see any sort of 6 pin connector on those boards. All of them look to have the standard ATX connector plus the 4 pin square connector.

Edited by dpunisher, 18 January 2011 - 01:40 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

Is your motherboad the one shown here: http://www.bitzotech.com/Pictures/Motherboards/B5907.jpg

Many of the newer motherboards have a eight pin 12v or four pin 12v connector. There is a six pin ATX variety too but they are less common. I spent some time looking for one and I could not find one. They other option is to use an adapter like this one: http://www.dhgate.com/ide-4-pin-power-to-6-pin-atx-power-cable/p-ff8080812bd36b66012bd9ae685d5b2e.html
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 cbbeast

cbbeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

It is a double row (3 pins/row)I've attached a photo. The motherboard date to 2005 so it's not real 'new'.

Posted Image

You can see the 6 pin plug in the upper corder. It has 1 yellow 2 brown and 3 black wires.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

It is an ATX +12v 6 pin connector. As I posted before odds are you will not find a power supply will one of these anymore. but you can use an adapter like I posted and that should solve your problem.
Mark Twain

#7 cbbeast

cbbeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Thanks, but what do the 2 (3 pin) connectors connect to? Or is that a wrong image? It show 2 (3 pin) connectors, shouldn't this be a P4?
Posted Image

Edited by cbbeast, 18 January 2011 - 06:54 PM.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

the two "three pin" connector hook up to two Molex connectors (what you use for an IDE hard drive or cd-rom) which will supply the needed voltages to the various pins.
Mark Twain

#9 cbbeast

cbbeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Baltboy or anyone who likes to explain things,

Posted Image

I'm guessing that the 3 pin molex i'm fits on this 4 pin molex? It just has one less pin in it, right? ONE PROBLEM.

My +12v 6 pin connector has ONLY 1 yellow line. 2 Brown and 3 black. This cable has 2 yellow lines going into the 6 pin.

Edited by cbbeast, 19 January 2011 - 01:32 PM.

#10 cbbeast

cbbeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

Here is a Pinout for the 6 pin I found online, but like I said. I've got 3 black 2 brown and 1 yellow. I feel like it would fry it. Am I wrong?

ATX 6 pin 12V Power Connector Pinout (ATX v2.2)
Pin Name Color Description
1 COM Black Ground
2 COM Black Ground
3 COM Black Ground
4 +12VDC Yellow +12 VDC
5 +12VDC Yellow +12 VDC
6 +12VDC Yellow +12 VDC

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Honestly I'm not sure what you mean. If the board needs a 6 pin +12v plug and the adapter is the only option then go for it.
Mark Twain

#12 cbbeast

cbbeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Honestly I'm not sure what you mean. If the board needs a 6 pin +12v plug and the adapter is the only option then go for it.

I worry that the adapter has 2 yellow wire (I assume are +12 volts) and my existing PSU had only 1 yellow wire. So I'm asking if this adapter is truly compatible. Thanks for the help.

#13 cbbeast

cbbeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

Is it silly to take a volt meter to each pin and map the voltage of each to make sure that this adapter will be compatible?

#14 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

if the adapter was made for that im sure it will work just fine

#15 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

It is always good to take all the steps you can to verify something will work. If you look at the molex connector in the photo the two middle pins are always grounds and the other pin is +12v. There is a fourth pin in a molex connector which is +5v but the adapter has left that pin out.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users