Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Upgrade the RAID 0?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Confused:wacko:
Presently I have a New System I just Had Built. We initially Started out with 2 SATA 1TB HDD (Samsung F3 Spinpoint) Configured to RAID "Striping", later we added a Matching HDD to be Used for Backup (Computer Shop Recommended "Acronis True Image" for Software). Everything is Already Formatted to This Setup using WINDOWS 7 Pro 64-Bit.
I wanted to see if it would be a Good Idea (Since I haven't Plugged this in YET) to Install another Matching HDD (4) and Re-Format to a RAID Stripe/Mirror??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

I would go with RAID 5 (striping with parity) since you will keep most of the RAID 0 speed and will only lose the storage space of one of the drives in the array. As an added bonus if one of the drives fail you can replace it and rebuild the array with out the need (and lost time) to use the backup. If you do the stripe/mirror approach the two additional drives will net you zero extra storage space. Plus if the main array fails you will have to go through a PIA (IMO) proceedure to break the mirror so you can use the mirrored drives as the main array, then replace the bad drive, reestablish the mirror, and wait for it to copy the entire contents of one array to the other.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

OK, Confused Here...(Kind of a Noob, sorry) So are You saying To ADD another HDD then Reformat to RAID 5, or Can this be done with the 3 HDD I already Have?
Will I NEED to Add any additional Software for this Set-Up (RAID 5) ??

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

Edited by tg1911, 02 February 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

You need at least three disks with RAID 5 and random write performance can be quite slow. Read performance under RAID 5 is very good, though. Unlike RAID 0, there is redundancy with RAID 5 so if you lose a drive, you're not completely out of luck. You may want to look at this for help in setting up RAID.

3939.png

#5 Librarat

Librarat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

If you're using 1Tb disks or larger, you should avoid raid 5. Yes it has 1 disk fault tolerance, but raid 5 with disks that large are notorious for failing rebuilds. If you're going to be using 1TB or larger disks, you should really do raid 10 (1+0) which will give you 2 disk fault tolerance, as well as greatly improved write speeds (I assume you're not using a dedicated RAID controller)

Edited by Librarat, 24 January 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#6 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

You need at least three disks with RAID 5 and random write performance can be quite slow. Read performance under RAID 5 is very good, though. Unlike RAID 0, there is redundancy with RAID 5 so if you lose a drive, you're not completely out of luck. You may want to look at this for help in setting up RAID.

OK, (Keep in Mind I Am a NOOB on Computer's, lol...Harley's & Hot Rods-No Problemo) I went and Read that Article which Makes sense, and after reading further discovered what seems to make More Sense: RAID 6...But, Where does That Put me at NOW with the Set-Up I have installed already???
I Have 3 HDD's Installed already.
Now, HOW to make the Best Possible Use out of the 3 (or do I NEED TO Add a 4th or Stay with What I have and do a Bit of Re-Arranging??)

WHAT would BE the BEST "Overall" Configuration ??

I don't Know if this Helps, but My Motherboard Utilizes the SATA 6 GB/s Revision 3.0 ??

#7 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

If you're using 1Tb disks or larger, you should avoid raid 5. Yes it has 1 disk fault tolerance, but raid 5 with disks that large are notorious for failing rebuilds. If you're going to be using 1TB or larger disks, you should really do raid 10 (1+0) which will give you 2 disk fault tolerance, as well as greatly improved write speeds (I assume you're not using a dedicated RAID controller)

RAID 10 (1+0), here I just got Done Reading an Article on RAID 6 vs. RAID 0 & RAID 5, and Now we are adding a "10", Hmmmmmm??
RAID Controller?? Don't remember Buying one of Those, Thought it was Built into my Motherboard....(the Shop that Put all this Together even Commented on the Onboard Utilities for Set-up)
Yes, at this Point 3-1TB Hard Drives (Samsung F3 Spinpont)

#8 Librarat

Librarat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Let's start with RAID controller. Most motherboards these days have them built in. The difference is that your processor does all of the parity calculations where as with a dedicated card, that stress if offloaded onto a dedicated processor for just that purpose. (With processors these days, it's not an issue)

Below are formulas (give or take a little space) for total disk space with the corresponding configuration

For example capacities, I assume 1 TB disks are used througout.

Raid 5 (Minimum 3 Disks) - (n-1) * smin -- 1 Disk Tolerance (~2 TB Total capacity)
Raid 6 (Min. 4 Disks) - (n-2) * smin -- 2 Disk Tolerance (~2 TB Total Capacity) (Read times suffer)
Raid 10 (Min. 4 Disks) - ((n-1)*2) * smin -- 2 Disk Tolerance (~2 TB Total Capacity)

n = Number of disks in array
smin - Capacity of the smallest disk in said array.

Again, I suggest raid 10 for 1tb or larger Discs. Raid 10 is a bit more complicated to set up as you need to set up two arrays of raid 1, then using those two arrays, a single raid 0 array.

Apologies on the delayed reply :) This starting to make more sense?

Edited by Librarat, 02 February 2011 - 12:15 PM.

#9 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Somewhat...
So, I guess I would NEED to purchase One Additional Matching HDD for a RAID 6 or 10 is that my Understanding??
On a RAID 6 or 10 --> will it backup itself up just in case I Lose a Hard Drive?
How does RAID 6 or 10 do on Read & Write Speeds??
Since apparently a RAID Controller would be the Smart Thing to do What would be the Recommended Type to go with (as I noticed Several to Choose from; Are there Specific Requirements that I should look for?? And I'm "assuming" of Course to Go with a Reputable/Established Brand, correct??)
Just to Clarify, I am running the Samsung F3 Spinpoint SATA II x 1TB Hard Drives x 3 Units Installed

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users