Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM for 550GR

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KellyL

KellyL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

I have a Gateway 550GR Desktop and just got 2 1GB sticks of Corsair CMX1024-3200C2 RAM that I wanted to use to upgrade my 512mb. Because this is gaming memory I want to make sure it won't kill my computer. My motherboard is an Intel D915GAG-D915PSY. I currently have two 256MB sticks of Samsung M368L3223FTN that came with the machine. Here is the supported memory information from the motherboard website.
System Memory Features
The boards have four DIMM sockets and support the following memory features:
* 2.6 V (only) DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
* Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
* 4 GB maximum total system memory
* Minimum total system memory: 128 MB
* Non-ECC DIMMs
* Serial Presence Detect
* DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

Because the Corsair RAM is CL 2 not CL 3 and I think it is 2.75 Volts not 2.6 Volts, will this fry my motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

umm dont hold me to it, but i dnot think it will....it may not work at all, like a no-boot...but u can always bump the memory back in the bios like an anti-overclock

#3 KellyL

KellyL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:41 AM

I had it in there and it was working but just didn't know what it would do in the long run.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Because the mobo only supports 2.6v and these are 2.75 you could experience some memory related errors. If they are working fine with no random errors then no harm no foul. If you experience problems like file corruption or random windows failures then most likely you will have to replace the memory since it can not handle running at the lower voltage.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users