Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Computer - New Hardware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elusival

Elusival

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/b4WsovsUYIvOdsmEqAhmCLk

This is my PC specs. I don't know a lot about computers. But I would just like to make this one quicker and play games at a higher FPS.

I know I have a duocore, I believe which is two. I'd like at least a quadcore. Can my motherboard support it? What else could someone suggest I do. I'd like to do this for the best value for money. Any websites that have good deals would be appreciated as well. THANKS!

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2011 - 03:52 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Oh thanks for moving it, I wasn't sure what section to post in.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

For the most part, that is still a solid system, a little dated, but solid. If it were me I would try not to spend too much on components that cannot be carried forward to a new build.

First, try to overclock that CPU. A 6750 can run easily at 1600 FSB vs 1333, that would put it about 3.2ghz= free performance. Hopefully you should be able to do that without a voltage tweek, if you need a little more, bump voltage up .05V, see how it goes, keep an eye on your CPU temps. The stock cooler will hang in there unless you get really ambitious on the voltage. Mem dividers should work themselves out. I currently run an IP35-PRO with a 6750 in my HTPC build at 3.2, was at 3.4 when it was a gaming rig. The IP35-E and the IP35-PRO have the same power regs/stages (I think)and should clock about the same.

Here is a CPU support list to find out what CPU options you have: http://www.abit.com.tw/cpu-support-list/mb/intel_p35_ip35-e.htm

Videocard- Time for an upgrade. Fortunately this can be carried forward to a new build, so spend what you will. Decent gaming cards begin at about the $150 US range (GTX 460 or ATI6850) and go up to $500+ for the wild stuff. Frankly $350 US is more than enough to play what you want at any reasonable resolution available on a 27" and under single monitor (GTX570 or ATI 6970).

Memory- 2 gigs is about the minimum you need, but once again, any memory you buy cannot be carried forward to a more modern build. Try going to "Task Manager" and see what is running in the background. You can shut down a lot of behind the scenes stuff/programs (with MSCONFIG) without even noticing it, and in the process free up a lot of memory and CPU cycles.

Hard drive- your current hard drive is slower than the latest ones. How much it bothers you, I don't know.

Like I said, it is a fundamentally solid rig. I would hesitate to spend any real money on a new CPU as you can essentially buy a new Intel or AMD motherboard/CPU/memory for ~$250 and have a faster rig than anything you can build for Socket 775.

The above are just opinions.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Librarat

Librarat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

As a side note: I run a single 275GTX with dual 1920x1080 monitors, and I still can run all of my games at full settings (Crysis on ultra was my most recent benchmark). Graphics cards these days are way ahead of their software counterparts. We simply don't have games that really are able to take advantage of the newer cards yet. The biggest plus to the newer cards is being able to have multiple instances of the same game open. ie: EvE Online, I can run 6 clients at full res, on full settings (2x csaa)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users