Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, Can't restart XP in safe or normal modes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JAFL

JAFL

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

I'm hoping someone here might be able to steer me in the right direction here. I have a situation right now on my 2006 Dell E1505 laptop (with Windows XP Home Edition) where I can't restart the computer. I have been getting BSOD'S for about a year, off and on.

Last night I got another BSOD and tried to fix it. It said: Driver_corrputed_mmpool. I've been getting this same message since last summer. I ran verifier.exe at the advice of someone online. Upon reboot it indicated a problem with iomdisk.sys. I removed the driver. (I figured this was from an old Iomega zip drive I had installed on the laptop about the same time I started getting the bsod's). Afterwards, I also did a search for that file name and removed two files. About an hour later I got the same bsod again. So, I restarted the computer and almost immediately a bsod came up.

I tried restarting the computer in safe mode and best last known configuration, but both times the bsod came up after selecting those modes.

I want to restart the computer and not lose any programs or files, and I don't have the OS disk, resource disk or drivers/utilities. Dell did not give me these when I bought the computer, so I called Dell this morning and they are mailing them to me in 2 to 3 days.

I did a bunch of research last night about this and came up with the following course of action. I'm hoping maybe some people here might be able to tell me if this is my best option:

1) To be safe and save any files first, create a boot disk using a free Linux distro live cd (download from kubuntv website). I have no idea how to do this. Supposedly I can use this to get into my C and save some work externally?

2) After I get my OS install disk, I should do a "repair-install", instead of a reinstall. Supposedly just doing a repair-install will save my programs and files, and the most I'll have to do is re-update some drivers and utilities after I get the computer back up and running? I read that it's better to do a repair-install than use a recovery disk (recovery console) if I want to save my files?

While Dell is sending my Windows XP Home OS disk later this week, I do have a Windows XP home OS disk from another computer that I thought I would try so I could save some time, but I'm assuming I can't use someone's else's because the registry keys are different? At this point I'm just playing it safe and waiting until I get the actual disk copy for my computer.

Anyhow, I'm all ears if anyone is kind enough to offer some other suggestions or any advice. I'm a novice at this stuff so please keep that in mind.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 JAFL

JAFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Louis, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't get into the computer to run the .exe file. I'm only able to get to the screen that offers the various startup options (safe mode, etc). After one of those is selected, I immediately get a BSOD. I'm accessing this forum from a different computer.

I was able to take a picture of the blue screen and attached it to this post.

Attached Files

Edited by JAFL, 17 January 2011 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users