Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Asus Eee PC1015T

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hello all;

I got a new Asus PC 1015T Net book with the AMD V105 Nile processor. It came loaded with Windows 7 Starter (useless). I have a spare copy of Windows XP Home and want to know if I can load that on this new net book. I can't think of a reason not. Can anyone else? That new W7 Starter won't even let you change personal settings. (wallpaper, screen saver, etc.)

Also I ordered a pair of 2 G RAM sticks from Crucial as advised by the site where I bought the PC and found that the machine only has a single RAM slot. It came with 1 G and is suppose to be capable of running 4 G. I suppose I really need a 4 G stick but have been unable to run a scan with the Crutial or Kennsington online system scanner software to get an exact match. I have read online reveiws that say it should recognize over 3G of a 4G stick. (not sure why this stuff happens but the machine I'm sending this on is the same way (also AMD processor)) I tried to install one of the 2G sticks and the machine will only recognize 1 G of it. It's obviously not the exact stick I need. These sticks will work in an Asus Netbook with the Intel processor and I guess the seller thought it was the same.

Anybody got any good ideas?

S
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hello all;

I got a new Asus PC 1015T Net book with the AMD V105 Nile processor. It came loaded with Windows 7 Starter (useless). I have a spare copy of Windows XP Home and want to know if I can load that on this new net book. I can't think of a reason not. Can anyone else? That new W7 Starter won't even let you change personal settings. (wallpaper, screen saver, etc.)

Since you say it is brand new hardware. I would make sure you can find XP drivers for everything before getting rid of Win 7.

Thats one good reason. You might have XP but it won't work without the drivers.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Good point. I'll check and see what I can find. I guess Asus tech would be the best place to start. Being a netbook it doesn't have much in the way of accessories. No optical drive but it does have a webcam and card reader. I have also read of people that have claimed to had success with the change over. It has usb 3.0. Would that create any problems?

S
UFO pilot

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,524 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

XP supports 3.0

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hi sudsy -
Are you only doing this because you have a new spare XP CD - Win7 is great on smaller laptops (my 2nd unit is a Toshiba L/top with Home Premium) -
Have you looked at an upgrade from the Win7 basic system to a full Home Premium - Not sure of the cost though (Animal may know) -
Since XP SP3 is losing support from M/$oft sooner than Win7, I thought it may be another option for you -

Thank You -
EDITED as I found the prices -
Upgrade version ($119.99)
Upgrade version ($119.99)Choose delivery method
Why download?Avoid shipping - it's better for the environment, and better for your wallet.Get your software right awayDownload again anytime
Download [?]Download + Back-up disc (No additional charge)[?]Ship it [?]

Edited by noknojon, 17 January 2011 - 09:43 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

Caveat emptor. :whistle:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

OK, so splain this Lucy!

If I download the upgrade instead of getting an actual hard copy of the OS how would I recover from a hard drive failure? How would I even be able to get back online with the machine to download/recover the OS. Also if I look at specs of the different versions it says that you cannot do an upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit version. I also see that W7 Starter is a 32 bit OS so then can I upgrade it to a 64 bit version? If I read the info on the "update anytime" page it says that the Home Professional version takes full advantage of the 64 bit hardware that is installed on the system. Does this mean that it is a true 64 bit OS?

Another thing. I can get the single upgrade for $79.99.I have two other PC's that run XP Pro. I can get a "Family pack" of Win 7 Home Pro for $125 from New Egg. Should I go that route and do all three? I am not very impressed with the Starter version and wonder why MS would even produce such a limited version that just goes to discourage new users.
UFO pilot

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:56 AM

If I download the upgrade instead of getting an actual hard copy of the OS

Download [?]Download + Back-up disc (No additional charge)[?]

Mine came pre installed - The first thing I did was make my own backup disks so I can reinstall if needed -
It is not that hard as it only took me 1 or 2 hours, once I figured how to do it on an OS that I had never used - - -
These were only M/$oft list prices, not private (New Egg or similar) - But the choice is always yours, as I only put an option up - :)
Enough of this - We are on the XP area, not software or Win 7 - Up to you Soaps -

@ dc3 - ??

Edited by noknojon, 18 January 2011 - 03:01 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:25 AM

Personally, I would purchase the retail family pack since you are looking at at least two installations. You raise a very valid point regarding needing the installation disk, without one you are stuck when you need to do certain types of repairs.

I would also suggest going with the 64-bit version. This will allow you to use as much RAM as your motherboard will support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

OK guys, thanks for the inputs. I am going to buy the "family pack" and upgrade all the PC's after I get used to W7. I did make a full backup of the netbook first thing. (actually made two, one was files and settings and the other is a "mirror image" or something like that)so I can always go backwards but that's not like me. One last question will all the anti-everything programs work on W7? Malwarebytes, superantispyware, AVG free etc.

Going to be driving for the next five or six hours so Later!

Soap
UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users