Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can map, but cannot access drives from XP to Win7

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lestatar

lestatar

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

Hey all, been ages since I been here. I dig the "new" layout! :D

I need help and hoping the fine folks here can assist as usual. Have already posted on another site, so including that thread here to avoid repeating what my issue is and what I have done thus far.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,114667.0.html

Basically, I got 2 laptops. A new Win7 Home Premium and an XP SP3 netbook. Both are on the same workgroup. Both have full admin privilege accounts. Shares/drives are enabled as I have always done on Win environments.

Problem is: I am getting Access is Denied when I try to access my Win7 C: and D: drives from XP. I can see the Win7 laptop, I can even map the drives, but cannot access Win7 drives from XP. From Win7 to C: and D: on XP is no problem at all, as always.

Yes, I am aware of that sharing root of drives is inadvisable. However, I am on a fairly secure home LAN [sole user] and I want to do this.

This issue is driving me crazy and there seem to be a million possible causes/solutions. None I have tried have worked thus far.

Really could use some help people.

tia and cheers!
-lestatar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

Have you set up the HomeGroup?

Windows 7 Homegroup, and what it is?

#3 lestatar

lestatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:48 AM

^ Hey there. Yup, first thing I did. Homegroup name is same for both.

But in my digging for a solution, it seems that Homegroup is a half-baked MS concept. Worst part about it appears that it only works between Win7 machines.

In my mixed OS environment, Homegroup does not appear to have any benefit at all and indeed I wonder if it might be causing my issue.

Also, more info. Perhaps my Win7 Home Premium version is possibly the problem. A colleague with Win7 Ultimate is able to successfully map and access his Win7 root drives from several XP boxes. Settings are the same for his Win7 Ultimate and my Win7 Home Premium.

Could this be the root cause of my problem? The different versions, with different networking protocols?

arrrggghhh...

thanks for chiming in,
-lestatar

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

Take a look at http://windowsfixup.com/2009/05/windows-xp-pcs-cant-see-windows-7-pcs-on-the-network-fix/ AND I would change the name of the network to "workgroup" from whatever it was.

Louis

#5 lestatar

lestatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

^ Hey hanluis, thanks for the reply.

Checked the link you posted - this does not quite represent my problem. Network discovery is fine and bi-directional - as I said I am able to see and map both of the root C: D: Win7 drives from XP. Just when I click the drives to access them under XP, I get Access is Denied.

I will try and revert my network workgroup back to WORKGROUP this weekend and see if it helps.

cheers and thanks again,
-les

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

I have XP, Vista and Win7 all in Workgroup. One thing you might want to consider is, either the firewall or Anti-virus might be preventing you from accessing the other computer.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

Also make sure that you have accounts on the Windows XP that mirror the accounts on the Windows 7 computer as well, and by that I mean username and password and that they are added to the sharing out of resources under the sharing tab.

#8 lestatar

lestatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:15 AM

^ Heya cryptodan, thanks for jumping in.

re: you suggestion. Is this really necessary? Seems quite a PITA. My XP profile [admin] is old and don't want to create a matching one on it to "sync" with my Win7 Home Premium account [also admin].

Thanks to all for the tips so far. Still need to change my workgroup name back to WORKGROUP to see if this helps at all.

@ Jaycee:
What version of Win7 do you run and have success with this on? I am still suspecting that Home Premium may be the culprit here... :(

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:24 AM

Ill be getting Windows 7 soon on 2 computers and will investigate this issue.

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

My Win7 is Ultimate.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 lestatar

lestatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:05 AM

Hey folks...well, changed my "workgroup" name back to WORKGROUP on both Win7HP and my XP SP3 box, then rebooted both of course. Still no joy.

Same problem as from the start: From the XP box, I can see the Win7HP box, I can map the C: and D: drives, but when I try to access the drives under XP I still get Access is Denied.

And I am only using Win7HP firewall - from what I can tell the settings are OK and should allow me to do what I want to do.

still scratching my head but now getting near to giving up...

I am sooo not a Win7HP fan at the moment... :(

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:23 AM

workgroup and WORKGROUP are the same as far as windows is concerned. Again do you have accounts on bother machines that have the same exact password and user name, and also are the drives shared out?

Right click on the Drive and Select Share with Specific people.

#13 lestatar

lestatar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

@Cryptodan: Sorry, I should have been clearer.

My original workgroup name was something I made up, not a lowercase version of WORKGROUP. I changed it back to WORKGROUP as indicated.

Both C: and D: are fully shared with EVERYONE.

I need to create an identical account on my XP box to match the normal one I am using on Win7HP. Currently on Win7HP there is only 1 account, mine, admin.

I didn't want to do this for XP, but am willing to try nearly anything at this point.

Thanks for hanging in with me so far,
-les

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:23 AM

Unfortunately thats the way it is. I had to do that for my wife so that she could access files on my Windows Vista machine.

#15 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

Not sure why you are so reluctant to create identical users on all machines. There isn't any additional setup other than to create the same user with same password on all machines. It's not like you have to install all the same apps or apply any customization to make the accounts "identical".
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users