Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BILL MULLINS WEBLOG RETRACTS ARTICLE SLAMMING IOBIT

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

http://billmullins.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/iobits-advanced-systemcare-free-3-7-does-not-install-spyware/

IObit's Advanced SystemCare Free 3.7 DOES NOT Install Spyware

There are times when you have to fall on your sword, and for me, this is one of those times.

On Friday of last week, I posted an article which laid out a case that IObit's Advanced SystemCare Free 3.7, installed malware on a users machine based on test results (including rough copy), provided to me by an associate who is relatively new to this type of analysis.

The responsibility for posting this false information is mine of course, since I did not perform due diligence prior to posting. If I had, I would have found:

The testing methodology was not up to standard.

The results of the analysis were factually incorrect.

--SNIP--

In the circumstances, I offer my apology to IObit (whose products I have recommended without reservation, numerous times in the past), and to the readers of that particular posting.

Moreover, I apologize to regular readers who have come to depend on factually correct and unbiased product reviews, and recommendations. In this case, I have let you down.

So what we all saw in the original post was.... Flying saucers? Pink Elephants?? A MIRAGE??? Ghostly apparitions??

Looks like someone "Got to him" IMHO. From the Friday's (now missing) blog post:

I'm just thinking out loud here, but given the reputation that China, and Chinese companies have in employing espionage, it's worth considering the motivation behind IObit surreptitiously installing Spyware as part of a freeware installation. Could this be, or should this be, considered espionage?

Espionage, contrary to popular belief, is not restricted to governments, or industrial concerns. The accumulating of critical civilian data is a well tested tool used to gain advantage.

Now none of the above quoted text, real or imagined, means very much to me...I KNOW that "stuff" happens...and there's nothing I can do to stop it from happening....I'm still judging my opinion of this less than reputable software company and it's questionable program based mainly on the incident with Malwarebytes' and secondarily on it's suspicious bundling of seemingly unneeded toolbars, etc and thirdly it's questionable/ bordering on Guerrilla Marketing tactics.

A few questions for IObit: Given the controversy surrounding the toolbar/shortcuts/homepage issue, why not offer a "Slim" version a la Piriform& others? Would that not offer a better solution than "You can easily uncheck the toolbar, ignore it, and go on with IObit products installation" solution (for lack of a better term) "offered" by the official (I assume) IObit sent to reply to the other thread? I certainly think so.

The other question is: Why not offer a trial version for the Pro (paid) version up front, as is offered by DOZENS of Security software vendors, such as Kaspersky, Eset, Trend, F-Secure, ......the list is endless. The OBVIOUS point (to me) here is that a rock solid software company that has a product it believes in and stands by will give you a full trial period then let you decide. They won't give you a "watered down" version to demonstrate the quality of their work and then, after 30 days or so dangle some BOGUS claim that the Pro version will improve the speed and enhance performance by %956 or some such nonsense out in front of you if you'd just pay-up. Any nit-wit can figure that out easily.

Why don't they just show you and let you see first hand? The answer is obvious.

Because they CAN'T.

Due dilligence, INDEED.
Buh-Bye IObit---THE DUST!!!

Reason For Edit: TO REMOVE SOME OF THE VENOM FROM MY ORIGINAL POST, IN DEFERENCE TO GRINLER'S REQUEST ON THE OTHER THREAD.

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 January 2011 - 03:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

...I'm still judging my opinion of this less than reputable software company and it's questionable program based mainly on the incident with Malwarebytes' and secondarily on it's suspicious bundling of seemingly unneeded toolbars, etc and thirdly it's questionable/ bordering on Guerrilla Marketing tactics.

A few questions for IObit: Given the controversy surrounding the toolbar/shortcuts/homepage issue, why not offer a "Slim" version a la Piriform & others? Would that not offer a better solution than "You can easily uncheck the toolbar, ignore it, and go on with IObit products installation solution offered by the official IObit dispatchedto reply to the original topic?

I certainly think so.

The other question is: Why not offer a trial version for the Pro (paid) version up front, as is offered by DOZENS of Security software vendors, such as Kaspersky, Eset, Trend, F-Secure, ......the list is endless. ...a rock solid software company that has a product it believes in and stands by will give you a full trial period then let you decide. .....

Why don't they just show you and let you see first hand?

As more than 5 days have passed since I posed these questions, I think it's a pretty safe bet that no answer is forthcoming from IObit.In the off-chance that someone considering buying this or other IObit products may stumble across this post I'll offer my own personal opinion. Don't do it. To be fair, the program does include some useful features, and may--if used correctly-- result in a performance boost. The registry scan is not one of them. Unfortunately you have to pay to "unlock" those useful features which any number of completely free full-functioning programs and/or tools already integrated within the Windows OS will achieve.

No the real reason, IMO, for the aggressive sales-pitch to purchase the Pro version (which, BTW begins IMMEDIATELY upon program launch--Your computer have totally 174 errors it annonced to me BEFORE scanning) and "unlock" the aforementioned useful features is---again IMO---this:

http://www.iobit.com/partnersolutions.html
Welcome to IObit Partner Program
IObit is a young and promising company that produces innovative software with advanced technology in the fields of system fixing, performance tune up as well as security protection. Our products are increasingly preferred by businesses and home-users worldwide for ease of use, reliability and superior performance. Why not partner with IObit to maximize your sales volume and potential profit by taking advantage of IObit products?

Affiliate Program
Posted Image
The IObit affiliate program is for website owners who get a high volume of traffic to their site. Earn great commissions (up to 60%) for simply referring customers to IObit. By selling our products, your website can quickly be turned into a profitable online business!

Simply submit the online enrolment form by using the "Sign Up Now" below.

Is there any financial cost to become an Affiliate/Reseller?
No, our partner programs are 100% free. Join us now and earn your money.

Sorry, nothing off-topic to report here. :thumbup2:

Edit to add, Sorry, make that Your computer has totally 164 problems
2nd edit for clarity & to add link
3rd edit to add the following:

To be fair I will add that I tested this version: http://blog.iobit.com/iobit-advanced-systemcare-3-7-2-improvements_61534.html
in VMWare Player on a fresh & fully patched "nLited" XP SP3 installation. The program installed/uninstalled cleanly, a few stray folders/reg entries. I installed both with and without the toolbar (which in this case was The IObit Search Bar Powered by MW) the Toolbar also uninstalled cleanly without any noticeable problems.

FINAL edit to add:

An HJT scan after uninstalling the Toolbar shows no trace remaining. Posted Image I didn't test the Anti-Virus due to negative reviews: Posted Imagehttp://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2355884,00.asp

In closing if you think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized, read this topic @ Aumha.net and see if that changes your mind.

Still not convinced? This should be the proverbial final nail in the coffin. Please read Registry Junk: A Windows Fact of Life posted by no less an authority than Mark Russinovich on his blog Oct 2, 2005. Here's an excerpt:

....As a result, software uninstalls were often incomplete, leaving behind Registry and file system detritus. A few hundred kilobytes of unused keys and values causes no noticeable performance impact on system operation, but I figured it was natural for a Registry cleaner to be an essential part of running a tight ship for the anal retentive systems administrator.

I'll stick with the word of this guy over the word of these people, TYVM.

Edited by Union_Thug, 23 January 2011 - 02:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users