Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where are these files coming from??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whoit

whoit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hi -
I'm not sure when this started or why - but I'm getting a ton of files in my recycle bin, all of them zero bytes, all
of them named sequentially: "test.file, test_1.file, test_2.file" etc.

Since they are zero bytes, I cannot find any info about them within the file, and there is no file info in 'properties' either.

The files are created daily, sometimes multiple times during the day.
I cannot relate the times to anything on my system, nor can I relate it to any specific application (nothing new except Norton Security Suite installed on 1.6.2011)

The only thing I've been able to find that might be related are 3 'system' folders at C:\ named: "QuiBB2.tmp, QuiBB3.tmp, QuiBB4.tmp" (yes, folders not files)

To make things even stranger, the files only appear in the recycle bins of my network drive (Synology), but the folders are on my local system at C:. I've had my Synology drive for 8 months and this has never happened, so i don't think it's related to the drive.

The only apps I have that begin with "Qui" are "Quicken Deluxe 2011" and Quicktime.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:12 AM

In Recycle Bin isn't there an entry in the "Original Location" column? You could also run something like SysInternals' Filemon, setting the filter to test_*.file. That will show the related process. Best if you have some idea when it is likely to occur.

#3 whoit

whoit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Nanobyte -
Since this is a network drive (at least the way Synology uses shares) the recycle bins aren't really Windows Recycle Bins,
so I can't use Original Location...

However, i have downloaded Procmon and I am attempting to figure it out... it's a long slog...

Thanks...

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

Can you restore one of the files and then do a search to find the location of the restored file?

#5 whoit

whoit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

Nope - can't do a restore because there is no 'original location'....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users