Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services.exe consuming 80% of cpu usage

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 speedstermanvir

speedstermanvir

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

My pc got extremely slowed down a couple of weeks back. The last thing i remember i did was messing up with my IP address. The next day when I restarted my pc, it was extremely slow. I changed my IP to automatically configure but the problem still remains. I ran the task manager and saw the services.exe taking up 80% of my cpu. I am running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 on Pentium 4 1.80 GHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM. Thanks a lot for your help.

Edited by speedstermanvir, 17 January 2011 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

1) Are there any usb devices connected? If so, disconnect and reboot - do you still have the same problem?

2) Open msconfig. Choose "selective startup" (disable everything from loading) and reboot. What happens?

#3 speedstermanvir

speedstermanvir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

I do not have any usb devices connected to it. And I did the selective startup thing and it has got more slower now.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Okay, then I suggest you post in the malware section of this forum.

#5 speedstermanvir

speedstermanvir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Okay. Thanks for your help.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Good luck. Please post back and let us know how things worked out

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 speedstermanvir

speedstermanvir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

Okay. But as my pc is on 100% cpu usage at everytime so I think it will take hours for that. Is there any alternative or I should really go on to doing it? Also I dont have internet working on the pc so I would have to transfer all the programs to it with a usb drive.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I don't know if your restore dates go back far enough, but try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

System Restore W7

Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

Click on System Restore and then click on Next for the two following pages.

On the page titled Choose a Restore Point click on a date prior to your current problem and then click on Next. To see earlier restore points click on Show Other Restore Points.

On the following page you will have the option to view the programs and drivers that will be deleted. To go to the next page click on close and then Next.

On the following page click on Finish. You will then be prompted to confirm that you want to start the System Restore by clicking of Yes. This will immediately restart your computer to finish the System Restore.

After the computer has restarted click on Close.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 speedstermanvir

speedstermanvir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thanks, Sir. I wanted to try it but i did not but now I will. I will let you know if it works.

#11 speedstermanvir

speedstermanvir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

Sir, I am not able to change the date back to any other month than January, 2011.

I have tried clicking on the back button on the calendar for previous months and waited for long but it remains the same.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:31 AM

I knew that it was a long shot, but worth trying.

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If you can is it any faster?

#13 speedstermanvir

speedstermanvir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:36 AM

Also, I noticed that my pc does not start the first time. Its very weird.

Its like whenever I start it for the first time, it will restart just before the windows loading screen has to appear.

The restart is like the power to the pc was taken off for a second and then put in again and it goes on to happen atleast 7-8 times before the pc starts at different places like few times before the windows loading screen, few times after it and a few times at the user login screen.

But it does not happen if I restart it from the windows or by pressing the restart button on my pc.

#14 speedstermanvir

speedstermanvir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:37 AM

Yes, I can boot into the safe mode and I dont feel it is any faster in that.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:13 AM

Because your computer is off line and you will have to transfer data between two computers in order to run scans I'm going to suggest that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum. The Malware Removal Team deal with situations like this regularly and are much better suited in addressing this type of problem.

The AM I Infected forum is one of our busier forums, so please be patient if you are not helped immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users