Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor heating up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brc2000

brc2000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

Sorry if it's in the wrong section

Okay, this is probably a noob question, but is it normal for a PC to heat up slightly while playing computer games? I've been playing games for years, but never noticed the difference in the computer's temperature during playing games. As soon as I quit playing, the computer cools down to the normal temperature again. What I want to know is if the temperature increase, while playing games, normal or if it's something that could damage the disc and I should be worried. There's no noticeable difference in the performance of my computer. I recently changed my hard disk, since the old one got damaged thanks to a failing power supply and have been afraid to play any computer games, since I used to play a lot of games before the disk got damaged (although when the disk actually got damaged it had been at least a couple of weeks since I last played anything). I'm worried that it may have been my gaming that caused the damage to my computer. Note that the computer only heats up while playing games, not when running other programs or watching movies or anything else. It doesn't seem to matter how high the specs for the game are either. Even games like Thief from 1998,and extremely lightweight games like Pharaoh (which I've been able to run on a computer with and 8Mb video card) seem to warm up the computer the same amount as something like Baldur's Gate, Morrowind or Warcraft. Heck, even something like Runescape run on it's lowest settings causes this. Flash games don't seem to have any affect however (and are therefore are usually the only thing I turn to when I need a gaming fix, these days). I do occasionally run normal games but am afraid to run it longer than 30 minutes in a day, and usually quit as soon as I start noticing the temperature change. It's not as hot as my computer would get before it was damaged, however. Is this normal, or should I just not risk running any games on my computer? The fans seem to be running fine, so I'm not worried about that. All I need to know is if it's normal to notice a slight heating up of the computer when playing games and if said hating up can damage my hard disk. I normally never worry about stuff like that, but actually losing all my data in a hard drive never happened to me before. The computer runs smoothly while playing games and after playing games, so there's no evidence that there's anything wrong, but better safe than sorry. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

Download this. Take a screenshot and post it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

K. Though I really only want to know if games generally cause the increase in temp. But I suppose it'll be useful anyway.

Attached Files

Edited by brc2000, 17 January 2011 - 08:22 AM.

#4 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

those are a littl hot temps for lightweight games....what i would suggest is taking a can of air and blow out the cpu fan and heatsink (just take the whole case outside and spray it u dont have to take it off the cpu) my old pc did that and all it was was dust clogging the cpu fan...but if even that doesnt work than i would look to invest in a new cpu cooler

more expensive one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

cheaper one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

are u overclocking? because that also raises temps to where u would need a new cpu cooler that is better than a stock one

how is the airflow in ure case? it seemed like ure vid vard was getting not too bad but a little hot as well? u may ust need to add a case fan or two if u can.

but back to ure original question....yes with any activity ure cpu is gong to heat up more and the more pressure and activity u put on it the hotter it will get...and as for flash games the activity on those is divided, as some of it is tacken by the internet so its probably less strain and for a core 2 quad a puny flash game is probably like a feather trying to attack it lol

Edited by Blaze413, 17 January 2011 - 10:21 AM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

It is completely normal for the system to heat up when gaming. Your CPU as well as your graphics gard get worked, use more energy, and produce more heat. If it works OK, it works OK. Don't worry about it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

I forgot to mention that those are actually the temperatures for normal activity, without running any games which is worrying. Probably should get a better cooler then. But, are those potentially damaging numbers? I've been using pretty much the same kind of hardware for 3 years now (only switching the power-supply occasionally) and I used to play games for 8-10 hrs a day during the summer with no noticeable problems. In fact the temperatures during normal pc use were all in the 60s and 70s, with no problems. When my previous HD got fried, we discovered that one of the fan blades was actually broken and the computer used to make buzzing noises randomly (temps were significantly higher as well), but it seems to be running fine here. Also keep in mind that I'm staying in Dubai, where it's pretty warm even during the winter season.

I'll be taking a screenshot of the temps during gameplay. I just had to find something to install and now I'm waiting for it to "heat up". I'll have it up ASAP.

Nah. Not overclocking. I usually leave hardware settings alone.

It is completely normal for the system to heat up when gaming. Your CPU as well as your graphics gard get worked, use more energy, and produce more heat. If it works OK, it works OK. Don't worry about it.

Yea. I guess it should be obvious, but I get overly paranoid over this stuff sometimes. Can running a game for a prolonged time cause any significant harm?

Edited by brc2000, 17 January 2011 - 10:49 AM.

#7 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

with the 50C at idle and at liek 70 or 80 while gaming yes those temps can really wear it down...mine never goes above 60C while playing crysis at max setting and i use an amd phenom iix4 black edition with aftermarket cooler...but yes those temp could very well be dangerous

#8 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Here are the screenshots for playing a relatively light game (Audiosurf) and 5 minutes after I quit. I didn't check the temps while playing heavier games like Morroweind, but the case definitely gets much hotter than while playing this one, so it's probably in the 90s or even 100s when playing those. This one still seems to be a pretty big jump. The fan speed increases but it doesn't seem to be able to keep the temp down to below 60. With the browser closed the temps are lower by around 3 degrees.

I started this thread because I wanted to play Lord of the Rings Online, since I was bored, and I wanted to make sure that I'm not going to harm my PC. But I think that would probably go up to 90 or even higher so I think I won't bother risking it now.

with the 50C at idle and at liek 70 or 80 while gaming yes those temps can really wear it down...mine never goes above 60C while playing crysis at max setting and i use an amd phenom iix4 black edition with aftermarket cooler...but yes those temp could very well be dangerous

Yeah. I heard temperatures over 60 are bad even while gaming. Oh well, I guess my PC gaming days are over for now - canceled the LOTRO download. I'll wait for this heat sink to run it's course, then next time I'll actually pay attention to what the guy in the computer store puts in my computer next time (My current power supply cost around 15$ so I guess I can't expect much from it). Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by brc2000, 17 January 2011 - 12:30 PM.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

You should buy this one, it's a giant one which i bought for my cousin and it works beautifully. The temp for the i5-760 was only 30C, then i overclocked to 3.20Ghz which the temp was around 40C for idle, gaming 44C. This fan is really good!

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

Thanks. I'll look into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users