Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question: When multiple programs request a restart...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnar Devonin

Ragnar Devonin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

Hi everyone,

I've a (I think) simple question: If you have multiple prograns which, after updating, request the computer be restarted could there be any conflicts? Like if two things try to update the same file as the computer is booting up? I'm hoping if there is a chance, the chance is remote/slim but I figure its' better to ask.

The question primarily stems from my AV and Windows Vista updating at near the same time recently, and both requesting a restart which caused a rather.. longer than usual shut down/start up than when just one or the other wants that precious restart. The computer has been working fine, and all other boot ups have been normal so I there isn't any virus shenanigans going on here. But if it happens again in the future and there is a problem, at least I have an idea what caused it.

Thanks for reading, and possibly answering. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

Hi everyone,

I've a (I think) simple question: If you have multiple prograns which, after updating, request the computer be restarted could there be any conflicts?

No

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

Allan gave you the answer, but what you could try next time, would be to stop one of them updating until the other is finished,then reboot, then update the other if your unsure !

Edited by doinmeedin, 17 January 2011 - 08:59 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 Ragnar Devonin

Ragnar Devonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Alrighty. Just thought I'd check to make sure, thanks again.

I suppose I can try the stopping updates on one thing, though most of the time I can't tell if something is going to require a restart until it requests it. Some windows updates say they 'may' require one, and sometimes I have to... sometimes I don't. My AV also doesn't say anything at all, it just pops up asking to restart sometimes when it updates. But I'll keep it in mind. :)

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

Don't worry about it. No need to stop anything. Find something else to worry about B)

Edited by Allan, 17 January 2011 - 09:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users