Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Mystery Of The Beeping And Freezing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan H

Jonathan H

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:51 PM

Well, howdy guys. Yep, I am totally new around here and, although I am not a n00b to the internet etc. I am a n00b to what goes on inside that computer case down by my feet. I guess coming here and reading about this sort of stuff will give me more knowledge and save me valueable time and money.

So anyway, on with my little problem. I have had my pc for a long time however over the years it has been upgraded, more RAM, new mother board, new graphics card etc. It has had it's fair share of problems, but this year everything has been going fine. No problems to report. That was until this morning.

Woke up thsi morning to find my brother on the computer, I kicked him off and logged on to have him tell me that the computer seems to be freezing and beeping. I thought nothing of it and continued by turning the internet on, opening MSN, checking emails etc.

Then the freezing and beeping started. At first it just froze. I thought nothing of it. I had to many windows open so it was going slow. That must be the problem. So I shut everything down other than one FF window. But it continued. This time happening alot more often and now with a beeping sound coming from inside the computer itself. Just like the sound you hear when you boot your pc up.

So I ran AVG for virus's and Spybot to see if I had any nasty things running around my system. Both came back fine. Nothing bad to report. I defragmented my hard drive. That went ok other than I found I only have just over 5GB of hard drive space left. I tryed everything I could think of. Finally the amount of times it kept on freezing and beeping died down. I thought I had killed it and everything was sorted. How wrong was I. After 5 mins it had all started again. So I decided to run a little experiment.

I have now noticed that it doesn't beep everytime it freeze up. When I was on the desktop I just kept my mouse moving around the screen and I noticed that after a while it seemed to freeze for a second, and then continue working as normal, however there wasn't a beeping sound.

I continued doing this "experiment" and found that the beeping sound happens occasionally, but not as often as the computer freezing. I have also noticed that when it does beep, it freezes for a much longer period of time.

Oh, just so you know, these are specs of my PC:

Machine name: OEM-1SZOPAMR0LK
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
System Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
System Model: K7S41
BIOS: Version 1.00
Processor: AMD Sempron™ 2400+, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 392MB used, 1624MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

So here I am guys and gals. That is my issue and I now turn the attention to you. Can you help me? I seriously need some help with this cause if it gets more serious and my computer dies I am totally stuffed. All help, no matter how big or small is welcomed. Any advice is appreciated, but please remember, I am still a total n00b to what goes on inside my computer, but I will try my best to understand everything.

Thanks,

Jonathan H

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:32 PM

A couple of places to check out those Beep Codes:
Additional information on computer POST / Beep Codes
BIOS Central
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Jonathan H

Jonathan H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:44 PM

Yeh, but the bleeping happens when the computer is running after I have logged on etc. It does the normal bleep during POST however when I am running the computer normally and it freezes it bleeps once aswell.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:29 PM

When you are working on the computer the CPU builts heat. Much less at idle. It is like a car radiator. The load produces the heat.
Crack your case and blow everything out. Check and mkae sure all the fans are working. Including the CPU and video card. Also blow out the heatsink for the CPU.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Jonathan H

Jonathan H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:10 PM

Right, I have opened up the pc and noticed that out of the three fans i have in there, only two are working. The video card fan isn't. Could that be causing the problem?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

That could be the problem. That little fan should only be $5-+. That would be your beep. Was it very dirty?

#7 Jonathan H

Jonathan H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:29 PM

I don't know, I could se it wasn't moving, but it is upside down so I couldn't see it really clearly. Is there a way I can switch between the cards. I have a onboard grpahics card on my MB. I could just switch between the two and just use my onboard card for the time being.

So is there a easy way to switch between the two or do I have to take one out?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

Take it out. My Dells will not dual boot, so when I test my system I have to remove it. If you can't see it you should remove and inspect the card.
What about the rest of the case? Is it dirty? Dirt and lent will kill your computer.

Edited by acklan, 11 December 2005 - 05:34 PM.

#9 Jonathan H

Jonathan H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

Right, i have removed the card and I am now running on my onboard video card. But the problem is still happening. Still freezing and beeping.

I have also found out why the fan on my other card isn't working, it seems to get stuck on something.

But yeh, any other ideas on what it could be, if it isn't the video card.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:07 PM

How many AM chips are installed. If two or more try removing one at a time to see if you have a bad stick. Remoe bank 0 has to have a stick of RAM in it to boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users