Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wolfe12345

wolfe12345

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

My Windows XP has 182 microsoft security updates going back 3 years. Do I need all of them? How do I know which are "safe" to delete?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

All security updates should be always installed.
Why did you wait 3 years to ask this kind of question?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:30 AM

How do I know which are "safe" to delete?

Hi wolfe12345 -
It is usually not safe to remove many Microsoft security updates as they have been patches to your XP system or I.E browser -
M/$oft must keep patching these items as they get outdated or spyware finds ways to around the older built in security systems -
This is like updating your Antivirus and Antimalware programs every few days to keep the new infections out -

Thanks -

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

<<It is usually not safe to remove many Microsoft security updates...>>

I would amend that to "any" security updates.

Security updates are issued to address known vulnerabilities in Windows. Removing any of them...logically results in a system that is more vulnerable to malware. Of course, this does not apply to updates which are superceded by later Microsoft updates...which replace or remove prior updates...as part of the update process.

No user should ever take on herself/himself to remove security updates installed.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

I believe what noknojon is alluding to are updates such as Net. Framework which will not always apply to all users as it applies to specific applications that may or may not be installed on a computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

My Windows XP has 182 microsoft security updates going back 3 years. Do I need all of them? How do I know which are "safe" to delete?

Are you talking about the updates themselves or the installation files in your Windows folder and the entries in ADD/REMOVE?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Thank you dc3 -
You explained the item more fully - I meant most items should stay, but Security Update items Always stay -
M/soft will download tweaks also at times that do not apply to all users, but always install Security Items -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 17 January 2011 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users