Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worh "reviving" this old laptop with a copy of Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

My Clevo D900T laptop 's (from 2005) XP installation is FUBAR, as is the XP CD (long story), leaving me virtually unable to reinstall XP or repair the current installation. I experimented with going the Linux route but just couldn't get used to it. Here are the specs:

Pentium 4 HT @ 3.2 GHz
256 MB ATi Mobility Radeon X800
1 GB DDR2-533 RAM (upgradeable to 4 GB)
76 GB HDD

It also has a TV Tuner and a nice 17' LCD, which makes me hesitant to just throw it away.

Are these specs good enough to run Windows 7? It'd cost me nearly $150 to buy an upgrade kit and 2 GB of RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 w7pro

w7pro

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

It never hurts to consider (which is what you're doing) to take the leap forward to Windows 7. Here are the specs for running Windows 7 Professional which, in my opinion, has the most features for its price: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/business/windows-7-system-requirements.aspx

You can also run the upgrade advisor to see if your laptop can run it in its current state: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

IMHO, those specs are a bit short for running Windows 7 to your full satisfaction.
Unfortunately, MS always presents those minimums, which really don't serve any purpose.
Will your computer run Windows 7? Yes.
Will it run it well? No.

For Win 7 you'd be looking for at least:
- dual core CPU
- 512MB of video RAM
- 2GB of RAM
- bigger drive, than 76GB

If you'll use to surf the net, send some email, etc, you'll be fine, but don't expect much more.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:41 AM

Hi, I have just recently upgraded an old laptop from xp to win 7 ultimate, jusy had to get a bigger HDD and max it out with RAM (2GIG) all bought of ebay for next to nothing!!! my laptop is a E-SYSTEM 3086 Intel Celeron 1.6GHz Intel 940GML(Calistoga)128MB shared graphics 15" screen, so as you can see it is not the best spec's but it runs like a dream, 7 has gave it a new lease of life!!! this machine is over 5 yrs old!!
Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#5 Luser_

Luser_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Those specs are fine for windows 7. I'm typing from a computer with windows 7 installed and it's running a P4.

#6 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

I'm curious, if I opt to buy an "upgrade" version of W7, will I always have to have my XP OEM CD handy? Because the reason I'm contemplating buying W7 to begin with is that my XP OEM CD is damaged beyond repair, leaving me unable to reinstall XP. If so, should I opt for an OEM or full Retail version.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

Some users report the ability to do a clean install with the upgrade version and minus an existing XP installation.

It's one of those...you won't know until you try it, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users