Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't load user profile

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 splitpea

splitpea

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hi,
Very new at trying to fix and diagnose computer errors, but willing to try. My trusty old Dell desktop, which I’ve had for about 10 years, has finally caused me a problem. This morning, I turned the computer on, I get the Windows XP screen, then I get the log-in screen, with my name and icon and my wife’s name and icon. When I click on my name to log in(or my wife’s), it seems like it’s going to be OK, but then I get the following errors—“Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile”. I click OK or let the time tick out, but then it just stays, doesn’t log me in. I’ve also received these error messages “insufficient system resources exist to complete requested service” and “user.ini.exe failed”. I’ve shut down several times and restarted, but keep getting “Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile.” I can’t log on to get to control panel, my computer, etc……At this point, I would love to just be able to save some of my recent documents and photos if you think it would be too expensive to fix or not even worth it for such an old machine. I don’t even know my administrator name and password anymore it has been so long since I created it. I’ve read a couple of things about creating a new profile and user, but I can’t log in to do any of that. And cant get into task manager using cont/alt/del. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

oalh 01-17-2011 at 03:11:33 AM .Hi,
Very new at trying to fix and diagnose computer errors, but willing to try. My trusty old Dell desktop, which I’ve had for about 10 years, has finally caused me a problem. This morning, I turned the computer on, I get the Windows XP screen, then I get the log-in screen, with my name and icon and my wife’s name and icon. When I click on my name to log in(or my wife’s), it seems like it’s going to be OK, but then I get the following errors—“Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile”. I click OK or let the time tick out, but then it just stays, doesn’t log me in. I’ve also received these error messages “insufficient system resources exist to complete requested service” and “user.ini.exe failed”. I’ve shut down several times and restarted, but keep getting “Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile.” I can’t log on to get to control panel, my computer, etc……At this point, I would love to just be able to save some of my recent documents and photos if you think it would be too expensive to fix or not even worth it for such an old machine. I don’t even know my administrator name and password anymore it has been so long since I created it. I’ve read a couple of things about creating a new profile and user, but I can’t log in to do any of that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks~

This seems to be another account you have created at TomsHardware forum at about the same time as the one you created this one -
Please try to keep to one forum at a time or tell the people that you wish to use another forum for your problem instead -
There can be conflicts with answers and efforts to repair items when you 'over use' these forums -
If you would prefer to use TomsHardware, please tell us now -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 17 January 2011 - 07:12 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

This seems to be another account you have created at TomsHardware forum at about the same time as the one you created this one -
Please try to keep to one forum at a time or tell the people that you wish to use another forum for your problem instead -
There can be conflicts with answers and efforts to repair items when you 'over use' these forums -
If you would prefer to use TomsHardware, please tell us now -

Thank You -

Please tell you're joking. You won't help someone if he or she posts a problem on multiple support forums? I've never heard of such a thing.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

Hi,
Very new at trying to fix and diagnose computer errors, but willing to try. My trusty old Dell desktop, which I've had for about 10 years, has finally caused me a problem. This morning, I turned the computer on, I get the Windows XP screen, then I get the log-in screen, with my name and icon and my wife's name and icon. When I click on my name to log in(or my wife's), it seems like it's going to be OK, but then I get the following errors—"Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile". I click OK or let the time tick out, but then it just stays, doesn't log me in. I've also received these error messages "insufficient system resources exist to complete requested service" and "user.ini.exe failed". I've shut down several times and restarted, but keep getting "Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile." I can't log on to get to control panel, my computer, etc……At this point, I would love to just be able to save some of my recent documents and photos if you think it would be too expensive to fix or not even worth it for such an old machine. I don't even know my administrator name and password anymore it has been so long since I created it. I've read a couple of things about creating a new profile and user, but I can't log in to do any of that. And cant get into task manager using cont/alt/del. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks~

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Have you run full scans with BOTH your Anti Virus utility AND MalwareBytes?

3) As a last resort you can do a repair install of XP, which will also reset your admin pw

#5 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Boot in safe mode (F8) and run virus/malware scans on all of the accounts.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

For future reference...

User profiles routinely become corrupt/damaged...in which case the error messaage you reported may appear.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#7 splitpea

splitpea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

Hi,
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by posting my problem at multiple sites...There was nothing different at all from the last time I used the computer. As far as the suggestions go, how do I get past the log-in in order to run virus scans??? Or create a new user profile, if I can't get past the log-in screen??? Thanks again.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

What model Dell is this?

Have you checked the Dell support data for your system...at the Dell website?

Louis

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hi,
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by posting my problem at multiple sites.

Personally I don't see any reason you should not post at as many sites as you like. If you have a problem you need to solve it. If it were my system and I were you I'd post at multiple support forums too.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Please...refocus on the issues at hand...please :).

Louis

#11 splitpea

splitpea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

Hi,
It's a Dell Dimension 8200. I haven't tried the Dell website, but I will. When you say boot in safemode, does this mean hit F8 when the cursor is blinking at startup?? Thanks everyone for your time.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

“insufficient system resources exist to complete requested service"

<<"user.ini.exe failed">>

Are those the exact error messages that appeared (no spelling errors, no punctuation errors)?

Louis

#13 splitpea

splitpea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yes, those are how they were displayed--I think it was "userinit.exe failed" however. I was able to get in using F8 safe mode, I created another profile, and tried to access the internet to load Malwarebytes, but I couldn't log on. I know my internet is working because I'm using it right now. Anyways, I shut down and tried to log in as the new profile and having same problem--""Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile". I click OK or let the time tick out, but then it just stays, doesn't log me in. At least I know I can get in with safe mode and save all my documents. Would still like to try and figure this out however. Thanks.

Edited by splitpea, 17 January 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi again -
Sorry for any confusion in any previous posts - Now please try this link for Malwarebytes Direct Malwarebytes Link - If you still have internet -

Thank You

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

Well...if I had created a new profile and was unable to access it normally...I would be concerned about the possibility of a damaged file system and/or hard drive.

If safe mode works...I would get in and move whatever data files I deemed valuable...before doing anything else.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users