Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeping my computer at peak performance?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Iamazn

Iamazn

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

What are some tools that I need to keep my computer at "peak performance"?
So far, I already have the following:
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
CCleaner
Smart Defrag
Advanced SystemCare

What else should I get?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris F.

Chris F.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

Well, for starters, MWBAM is a Anti-malware/Security tool, not a performance tool. CCleaner and Smart Defrag are good choices for performance, I have never heard about Advanced SystemCare - if it includes a "Registry Cleaner", i'd keep away from it. Registry Cleaners usually do more harm than good.

Always keep an eye on startup programs as well (those can affect performance), and be aware of the limitations of your computer's hardware.

Outside of that, I think your doing fine program wise.
How do you feel the computer is running?

Please post your system specs as well.

I'm sure others will chime in. :)

Edited by Chris F., 17 January 2011 - 06:12 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

ccleaner does NOTHING to improve performance. All you NEED to do is make sure you have a good AV always resident and updated, use either MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware to scan every once in a while, use Spyware Blaster and update weekly, defrag (if you like) on a regular basis, use disk imaging software on a regular basis to make sure you always have a recent imaging you can restore in the event of a catastrophe and, most important, obey "smart computing" procedures (never open an email link or attachment unless you are 100% certain it is safe, ditto downloads and visiting web sites, use strong and different passwords on each site that requires a password, do not let anyone else use your system's admin account, etc). Maintaining good system performane involves, in most cases, nothing more than using good, common sense and a few basic utilities.

#4 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

Exactly. The key to running Windows smoothly is 'Prevention is better than cure'. Browse safely, use good computing habits (don't install warez, junk apps etc) and do some basic maintenance.

For security, I'd go with MBAM + Avira Antivir or MSE (all have free versions).

For disk cleanup, the Windows native utility works just fine. Ccleaner has more options that allows you to clean out the temp files from some additional programs, but it's not essential. Anyway, *never* use the registry cleaning function in it.

For defrag, I am not a fan of the Windows native utility; I prefer a commercial automatic defragger that's faster and more thorough (not free however). The problem with the other freeware defraggers is that most often they are worse than the Windows native defragger (VSS support, system files defrag etc). But whatever you use, just remember to defrag regularly.

Once in a few months, I run chkdsk /r on the drives, just to scan for filesystem errors. More as a preventive measure than anything else.

Browse safely with Opera rather than IE. It's also faster and more customizable.

These are the only utilities I use, and these (or similar/predecessors) have served me perfectly well for the past 10+ years of using Windows.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

Keeping the computer's performance up to snuff is not a very complex process and requires a discipline of routine maintenance and some good habits.
1. Keep the number of links and files on your desktop to a minimum.
2. Unless you use an application regularly, do not elect "quick launch" when you install it.
3. Habitually delete the installation files that you download once you have installed the application; this includes compressed files after you decompress them.
4. Set a date monthly to run Windows utilities: Disk Cleanup, Scandisk (checkdisk), Windows defragmenter. Before this, archive files you are not using (old pictures, music, documents, and so on) and delete them from your hard drive. Once you have cleaned up your hard drive, it is a good idea to have your AV and an anti-spyware of your choice run a thorough scan of the computer.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users