Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Restore Windows Xp Desktop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bsmack

bsmack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hope someone can assist with this one.

After cleaning my system of "Winstall" spyware (thanks to help from this forum!) and returning back to normal mode from safe mode I have been unable to restore elements of my basic Windows XP desktop theme.

XP still appears under "Themes" but under "Appearance", "Windows and Buttons" I only have the option of "Windows Classic". This appears to be where the problem lies. Desktop image and setting update to XP but "Windows and Buttons" remain as grey "Windows Classic"

The theme of "Luna" is still in the "Resource" file and under system I am able to update the option of "Best Appearance" or "Best Performance".

The problem is prely aesthetic. System is fine now with this exception but I prefer the XP style and would like to be able to restore without a drawn out XP renistall.

Any suggestions?

System
Windows XP SP2
Pentium IV 1.8 Ghz
640 MB RDRAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

You can try using Wallpaper Hijack Remover which is a tool to help restore missing tabs from display properties as well as grayed out wallpaper select box.

Download wphijack from here.
1. Unzip and save the file to your desktop.
2. Double-click wphijack.exe to run the program.
3. A window will appear reading "Wallpaper look like this?"
4. Click the Continue button.
5. Click Check for Hijack
6. Select all "Repair" buttons even though it may not say "Found!" This will fix a wallpaper hijack everytime if all repair buttons are pressed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bsmack

bsmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:24 PM

Thanks. It didn't do the trick though. Still no "Windows XP" on "Windows & Buttons".

Also I forgot to add that I did do a System Restore and this didn't correct the issue either.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

Boot with your XP cd and select REPAIR when it asks you if you want to "Repair" or 'Install". At the "Repair Console" type chkdsk at the C:\.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:55 PM

Try this....

Repair/Replace a corrupt/damaged Luna Theme in Windows XP

Your Luna Theme is probably corrupt or missing.

1. Download Resources.zip from Kelly's Korner
  • If for some reason you can not download it directly from above, go HERE
  • Scroll down the page to #187.
  • On the right side you will see Restore Luna theme-Restore Classic theme.
  • Right-click on the Restore Luna theme link and select Save As and save it to your desktop.
  • Depending how your machine is set up, you will either see a Winzip file called Resources, or a WinXP Zip folder called Resources.
2. Whichever it is, unzip the resources.zip file and find the file named Luna.msstyles... the file size will be 4,089 kbytes.

3. Move this file to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna (don't move it anywhere else!)

4. You may already have the same Luna file listed in this folder, but you must replace it with the new one.

5. REBOOT your system

6. Go to Display Properties and you should be able to choose the XP theme again

Note: If more that one file in C:\Window\Resources is corrupted, you could also very well replace all the files

Let us know if that helps.
JC

#6 bsmack

bsmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:54 PM

Johuacat, that did it. Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated.

Also thanks to everyone for their suggestions also.

#7 lorgar

lorgar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:52 AM

Quietman7 thanks for the post I found this page while trying to solve the same problem and the file you suggested worked perfectly.

Edited by lorgar, 27 December 2005 - 12:53 AM.

#8 AndyR

AndyR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the info Joshuacat. I have the same problem as the other XP users. I downloaded the new luna.msstyles file to resouces-then replaced the old file- rebooted and went to display>themes. I noticed XP style still wasn't in themes but carried on to appearance and it wasn't there either.

I found that If I clicked directly onto the luna icon - windows goes straight to xp style in the appearance box, but when you hit 'okay' an error box comes up saying "the visual styles could not be applied- the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

Have I just copied it incorrectly? please advise and thank you for your time.

#9 AndyR

AndyR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:07 AM

okay! I figured it out. YOu have to go control panel>administrative tools>computer management>services>themes then change it from disabled to manual...

when I went back and double clicked the luna icon, windows xp style appeared in the display>themes and I knew I was in business. In appearance i was able to apply the default blue and I have the old XP colors back green and aqua blue baby. Gone is the white and gray of the classic style.

Phew! what a headache. I learnt a lot about this stuff thought and at least joined this chat room.

hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

#10 bagzy121

bagzy121

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:14 AM

hey
Joshuacat cant thank you enough for that post ive tried loads of things but that worked thanks loads!

sarah
:thumbsup:

----- What do you do when somethings bad for you but u just cant let go -----

#11 varun-gaara

varun-gaara

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

see i tried joshuacat an some1 elses way but y am i not getting it back!!
:thumbsup: please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
i beg y

waaaaa...............waaaaa.......................
i want my xp theme back!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users