Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario 2500 Monitor issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

A friend recently was given an older Compaq Presario 2500 laptop that was used for a short time in a business that went under. The laptop is literally almost new but once (apparently) had an external monitor attached.
Hence the issue.
i think.
The machines screen sometimes goes so dim you can hardly see it.
Its been that way for some time. My first thought was that the backlight had gone out and we had started the process of getting it repaired.
In the mean time i I had been accessing the machine remotely to update it, during that process i came across the settings for the graphics card.
there i noticed that the display listed as active is : Digital Flat Panel (1024x768) on Radeon IGP 345M
the drop down shows (Default Monitor) on on Radeon IGP 345M If i choose this as the active monitor then i and only allowed 640x480 at 8 bit color depth, but if i hit apply it reverts back to the digital flat panel

Device manager/monitors list:
Default Monitor
Default Monitor
Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)

So, perhaps the dimming of the laptops monitor is related to this somehow? Like maybe it is expecting and external monitor so the laptops monitor is dimmed?
What happens/ can it just uninstall the three listed monitors ?

Any thoughts?

Edited by BNDAZ, 16 January 2011 - 05:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

That sounds normal to me, I don't see any reason that it would relate to either use of an external monitor or the display becoming extremely dim. If it was me, I'd continue to investigate a backlight problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users