Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Noises and Deferred Procedure Calls

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David-WI

David-WI

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

My system is a Dell OptiPlex 745...it has dual core processor...2.8 Ghz...2 Gb RAM...XP Pro with all current updates.

I've been noticing a lot of folks on various forums lately having trouble with XP in general.

Mine in particular had been making noises every time I move my mouse.

I used Process Explorer to determine that Deferred Procedure Calls were happening during the noises...and these weren't happening a couple of months ago. I haven't gotten an answer as to how to determine what those DPC's were.

I did a check disk several days ago and found no issues. I then did a Defrag (27%)...and it ran good for about 2 hours...then started acting up again.

I got pizzed at the performance...and reloaded XP Pro...then got ALL MS updates.

Still a little noisy.

Ran check disk again...nothing. Ran Defrag again...14% fragmented...so I did that again.

STILL a little noisy...but MUCH faster for sure.

Afraid to download Jave Runtime environment and all the Adobe crap that websites want you to have to force you to watch adverts.

Anyone having similar experiences?

Thoughts and comments MOST welcome!

Edited by David-WI, 16 January 2011 - 04:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

1) XP is NOT prone to problems. It's been around 8 years and is among the most reliable OS's there is.

2) How are you running checkdisk? With XP, the correct method is to boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

#3 David-WI

David-WI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

TOTALLY agree about XP being pretty stable...but with the problems I had recently...I was starting to wonder. :crazy:

Stupid question Allan :blink:

To use the Recovery Console you have to have a CD with Windows XP on it correct?

My CD is not a factory one...but a burned image. Still...it has saved me a couple of times.

My limited experiences OS isn't helping me any for sure. :lmao:

Edited by David-WI, 16 January 2011 - 05:22 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

You can download a recovery console .iso, burn it to cd, and boot to it: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/150212-boot-to-recovery-console-wo-xp-cd/

#5 David-WI

David-WI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for that Allan...and sorry for not getting back sooner.

Is there a simple way to find what is driving these DPC's? The noises are driving me crazy :woot: :crazy: :hysterical:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users