Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Loss of connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimmythekid1

jimmythekid1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Long story short my dad got a new machine and gave me his old one. Its a Gateway GT5670. The Ethernet port is integrated into the mother board. Intermittently the the Internet will quit working and in the bottom right corner I will get the little icon with the network cable being unplugged.

I'm running a wired connection threw a wgr614 v7 netgear router. When the problem occurs every thing using the Internet wirelessly continues to work. I believe that maybe the led in the Ethernet port does not illuminate when the problem is going on. Some time if I unplug the wire and plug it back in the conection will work some times. while other time rebooting the machine seems to help sometimes.

The computer has
Windows Vista Home premium with sp1

There are also two important updates that the computer is erroring while trying to install. I have not had sp2 available to me i the update window section yet. But I figured the connection problem should be corrected be for the updates are spent to much time on.

I'm 90% sure I also had similar problems running the dsl modem straight to the computer too. But at that time the power cable may have been not loose from the modem. I have not installed any of the software on this machine that came from my ISP.

I think that is every thing I can think of to help you guys try to help me. Thanks in advance

James

im green at this stuff so bear with me please

Edited by jimmythekid1, 16 January 2011 - 04:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?? maybe the cable at fault and not your port!! try uninstalling the ethernet driver in your device manager and scan for hardware changes, or try up dating it. I would also run malware/virus scans to rule any issues out!!
Iain.

Edited by odin88, 16 January 2011 - 06:38 PM.

our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 jimmythekid1

jimmythekid1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Thanks I was cleaning up my dinner table for supper and found a new Ethernet cable I didn't know I had. Don't ask, seems to have taken care of the problem. I got a few more updates install along with SP2 now I'm having an update error again.... But that's for another section I guess.

Any malware/ virus software you would recommend? I have avast free edition but nothing else. My dad had defender pro 5in1 but it was so invasive to every little thing I tried to do I had to let it go.

#4 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

First try only installing the SP2 alone, normally Service Packs only like to be installed that way. Post the error code that you get if you do get one.

#5 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:25 AM

Thanks I was cleaning up my dinner table for supper and found a new Ethernet cable I didn't know I had. Don't ask, seems to have taken care of the problem. I got a few more updates install along with SP2 now I'm having an update error again.... But that's for another section I guess.

Any malware/ virus software you would recommend? I have avast free edition but nothing else. My dad had defender pro 5in1 but it was so invasive to every little thing I tried to do I had to let it go.

I have a personal favourite AV "MALWAREBYTES" I use the free version which does not give realtime protection, but when it comes to removing any malware/virus's or rootkits that have infected a machine it is brilliant!!! you have to do a manual update though before each scan.... this can be downloaded here.... http://www.malwarebytes.org/ ....you could also try comodo .... http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_AntiVirus_d5109.html ... plus their firewall is excellent... http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Personal_Firewall_d5033.html ... all of which are free!!!!

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users