Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashing - Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Elusival

Elusival

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

I've just put Vista back on this computer, I used DriveWipe to reformat the PC before which whiped everything off. Put a clean copy of Vista on. When vista welcome screen loads up, for a split second the colours look odd which I'm not sure if that means anything.

If I try to load any program, like XFire, or play an online game or any offline game. Virtually anything will result in the computer crashing and going to a blue screen saying something along of the lines of..

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage

NV4_MINI.SY

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this error message...(etc, the screen isn't up for long so it's hard to get it all word for word)

I've installed all software, installed graphics card, motherboard. There are no error signs in the device manager, everything should be working fine. I've installed all windows updates.

I did have this problem on XP but not to such a great extent. Perhaps it's something to do with the bios settings.

I tried clicking an option 'Load Failsafe defaults' which resulted in the mouse and keyboard not working but Vista desktop would load up. I managed to get back into the Bios upon start up and clicked 'Load optimized defaults' which brought the mouse and keyboard to work again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

After installing the OS did you install all drivers (starting with the chipset driver)?

#3 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

After installing the OS did you install all drivers (starting with the chipset driver)?

Yes I did install all drivers, I'm not 100% sure if I started with the chipset driver but I think I did.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

Okay. Please uninstall your Nvidia driver. Then go to their website and download and install the latest driver for your card.

#5 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

I have a feeling that the 'NV4_MINI.SY' thing after googling it and reading a few things has to do with the graphics drivers.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/b4WsovsUYIvOdsmEqAhmCLk
Here is a few month old speccy results I performed so you can see what hardware I have. I may benefit from updating my graphics card driver but when I go to device manager to search for updates it just keeps searching for a very long time and then the program stops responding.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

Okay. Please uninstall your Nvidia driver. Then go to their website and download and install the latest driver for your card.

#7 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Okay. I did that and it worked. Windows loaded and was fine, and the icons had become smaller because of the installation.

I then proceeded to try playing a game to check if it now worked and to my surprise it loaded up. After 2 minutes the computer crashed and I got the same blue error screen and when windows loaded up again the icons were big again, meaning the graphics card is now not installed for some reason.

What should I do?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

No, it does not mean the graphics card is not installed. The graphics (video) card is a physical entity - it's the driver causing a problem.

Open device manager. Any errors?

And in your first post you said this is a reinstall of Vista. What prompted the reinstallation?

Edited by Allan, 16 January 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#9 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

No, it does not mean the graphics card is not installed. The graphics (video) card is a physical entity - it's the driver causing a problem.

Open device manager. Any errors?

And in your first post you said this is a reinstall of Vista. What prompted the reinstallation?

Yup I do realise what a graphics card is. Must of just accidently said the wrong thing. The Drivers for it are the problem, I know it has to be.

I had Vista then decided to switch to XP because I believed it required less to run than Vista thus games I played would be quicker. I started having the random blue error screen on XP so decided to switch back to vista.

Strangely enough on Device manager there are no errors and it kind of looks like the driver is installed. But the desktop is still really huge. Although I did just play my game for a bit with no problems (Except fps lag).

If the driver is installed correctly whats causing the desktop to be so huge, when it had previously changed it smaller straight away.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Just go into desktop properties / settings and change the resolution.

#11 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

But the fact the resolution hasn't changed suggests the driver isn't 100% correctly installed.

Thanks for your help also.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

But the fact the resolution hasn't changed suggests the driver isn't 100% correctly installed.

I don't understand what that means.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

BTW, if you want to do it all again you can use this utility (in safe mode is best) to make sure the old driver is completely removed: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

#14 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

I think the problem is solved now, thankyou a lot :)

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Okay. You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users