Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE opening then closing or not responding. Am I infected, how do I tell?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 swens

swens

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

I don't know if I have malware of spyware but I thought this would be a good place to start. Many times after I've started up my laptop I've clicked on the IE icon on my desktop only to have it open briefly the close each time. I then I go to the programs menu and click on IE there and it will work but sometimes it does the same thing. Sometimes IE will open and all I get is a blank screen with "connecting" in the tab and the address to my home page in the address bar. Other times I'll have to use the IE icon on the start menu and occasionally it behaves the same way. Each time I'm asked to send an "Error Report" which I do and then another asks me if I would like to see more details. When I go to the link (a microsoft website) it informs me that I may have malware, spyware or a virus. It further states that it could be the IE add-ons causing the problem. Basically, nothing of value I can use to determine what the cause is. I have CA anti-virus and have run a full scan and only found tracking cookies (I removed them). I am uncertain if this is malware, virus or hijack and have no idea where to start or how to proceed. Will you please help me get started on this to determine 1) if there is a problem and, 2) what I need to do once that has been established.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users