Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cookies not being saved

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 teaside

teaside

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

Running XP Home IE6 SP2 Hard drive replaced 2+ weeks ago and all was well with transfers of old data, reinstallations etc. Suddenly last two days cookies are not being saved, even the acceptable ones listed in CCleaner, Cookiewall etc. I re enter bank data for example and access the personal accounts. Exit and go to another site, go back to financial and name and password spots are blank again. I have done nothing intentially to change CCleaner check boxes, same with CookieWall. Help, my fingers are getting sore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

I had that problem and Cookie Monster solved the problem. Trust me you will love it.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4756

#3 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

Thanx for taking time to reply. Much appreciated. Yes I had Cookie Monster installed on previous hard drive but did not transfer it over to new hard drive. For whatever reason the cookies are hanging in again after two cold boots so whatever is (or was) there is gone. If it happens again I will have C.M. watching my back. Thanks again.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

I had that problem and Cookie Monster solved the problem. Trust me you will love it.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4756

I agree - it's installed on all of my systems. The author hasn't updated it in years, but it works just as well with W7 as it does with XP

Edited by Allan, 16 January 2011 - 06:39 PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Running XP Home IE6 SP2 .... password spots are blank again ...
I have done nothing intentially to change CCleaner check boxes

Hi -
Please try to update to XP SP3 and use I.E. 8 if you can - The SP3 tutorial is listed at the top of this section -
You will not be getting M/soft updates if you only have SP2 (unless 64bit unit) - I.E. 8 will run on 95% of all systems with XP -
At the very least use I.E.7 as 6 is very unreliable these days (7 is not much better) - Do you also have F/Fox installed as a backup browser ??
The passwords may not be saved in I.E.6 , that is why I think you Need to upgrade now - You can uncheck the cookie removal in CCleaner (2nd item from top) -
Also make sure that in CCleaner you uncheck Autocomplete Form History as this may stop the passwords being saved -
If you want to add another cleaner I prefer ATF-Cleaner by Atribune as my other choice on XP -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 16 January 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#6 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

Glad I came back because I found it was CCleaner that was the culprit. It will take some time to go back and see what I did wrong (if anything). Stay tuned. teaside

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hi again -
This is my install instructions for setting up CCleaner to a good basic configuration -
Download and install CCleaner slim - This version has no extra toolbars to worry about or look out for and is a bit smaller download (same program) -
  • CCleaner slim
  • Scroll down to the Slim version,
  • Click on the downloaded file "ccsetup_slim.exe" and choose "Run as administrator" (if required) and install the application.
  • Keep the default installation folder "C:\Program Files\CCleaner"
  • Click finish when done and close ALL PROGRAMS including your Web Browser
  • Start the CCleaner program.
  • Click on Registry and Uncheck Registry Integrity so that it does not run (basically the very top, uncheck it)
  • Click back to Cleaner and under SYSTEM uncheck the Memory Dumps and Windows Log Files
  • Click on Run Cleaner button on the bottom right side of the program.
  • Click OK to any prompts
    Note, this will remove cookies as well so if you do want to keep them then uncheck them before running it.
You can delete and reinstall (from Add/Remove in control panel) or just adapt your installation to suit this -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 16 January 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

I'm not a fan of ccleaner or any other utility that does nothing that you can't do on your own. Other than get you in trouble, that is.

#9 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

noknojon: I deleted the latest version of CCleaner and reloaded the slim version as you suggested. Registry Integrity was not one of the items that could be checked or unchecked but other than that the simpler version seems to be running as desired. I did uncheck cookies and naturally all is well at this early stage. Thanx to all for hanging in. teaside

#10 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

Not sure what happened to my latest post a few hours ago but briefly desired and saved cookies dumped again so CCleaner in all its forms and versions is gone, gone, gone from my computer. Time to move on. Tnanx everyone.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Registry Integrity was not one of the items that could be checked or unchecked

You need to click on the item on the LHS that looks like a broken Rubiks Cube to open the Regestry area - Then uncheck those items -
I have used it for many years and once set up, it is a great and quick Temp File remover - That is all I use it for (along with ATF Cleaner) -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users