Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Carol J

Carol J

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

Like many others, I have lost the sound on my computer. This happened after I unplugged my speakers to have them repaired and when I plugged in new speakers the sound didn't work. I can't figure out how to get it back. I have a Unimodem Half Duplex Audio device, SoftV92 Voice Modem with SmartCP, Audio codecs, Legacy Audio drivers, Legacy Video capture devices, Media control devices, video codecs. In the Device Manager there are big yellow question marks beside Multimedia Audio Controller and Parallel Device. The comment related to both of these says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)." When I try to update the driver for each of these, the computer tells me that there is nothing installed. Don't have a clue how to fix this or where to even start. Can anyone help? I have attached information from Belarc Advisor about my system.

Thanks

Carol

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

When I try to update the driver for each of these, the computer tells me that there is nothing installed

You have to go to your computer manufacturer site and download necessary driver(s) from there.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 David-WI

David-WI

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Try checking the status of Plug and Play. I had this similar issue months ago even after I reinstalled XP and all drivers.

Plug and Play can be found by right clicking the My Computer icon on your desktop, then click Manage, then Services and Applications, then Services. If it isn't in the "Started" state...make it so.

Hope this helps!

Edited by David-WI, 16 January 2011 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users