Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox - Empty 2 Inch Sidebar Appeared

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 LizzieUK

LizzieUK

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hello everyone

For a few days now I have had an empty 2 inch space down the LH side of my search results in Firefox. I use Google and it's toolbar but this is not the 'Everything' sidebar I am complaining about.
I use a 'UserContent.css' script to block the 'Everything' sidebar but whether I use that script or not I can't remove the empty space.
Instead of trying to explain it any further it's easier to show you. One picture is without UserContent.css script and the other picture is with it. I have made sure all programs are up to date and
have tried Firefox in safe mode. Things like Google Instant Search are switched off and I have been through 'about:config' and restored a lot of items back to default but can't find a one to fix my problem.
I know it is a simple fix as I have had this problem before but can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
P.S. My spec is at the bottom. Thank you,
Elizabeth.

Posted Image

My set up is -
Windows 7 Ultimate
Firefox 3.6.13
Google Toolbar Version 7.1.20101113Wb1
ZoneAlarm
Avira Anti-virus
WinPatrol
Also scan with Malwarebytes once in a while so I don't think it's security related.

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.
But it was just one day and a very long time ago.

Elizabeth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same issue?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

Yes Broni,

Same issue using Firefox in safe mode. With having no Google toolbar in safe mode I search from centre box from Firefox's start page but I get the same result. In safe mode the UserContent.css' script doesn't work as the Everything sidebar shows up next to the empty gap. (The LH picture above is how safe mode looks).

Just to let you know, I use CCleaner quite often to remove junk (not the reg cleaner, just the c*ap cleaner) and have also used AFT Cleaner since this problem started but they didn't help.

When I start Firefox in safe mode, before the browser opens one of the choices I have is to 'Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults'
I'm wondering if I should try this or is that what safe mode does temporarily anyway?

Edited by Lizzie Charlton, 16 January 2011 - 06:51 PM.

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.

Elizabeth

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Create nee profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

Somewhere in FF is the option for a sidebar.

Never used it and am unable to find it right now. I`m thinking it got checked by accident.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

It doesn't look like a sidebar.
It looks like it's within Google page.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

oops. Posted before her screen shots were loaded.
Just did a google search. Page look`s exactly like Lizzie Charlton`s screen shots.

I believe it`s a google thing now. Not Firefox.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Good one....LOL
True.
I've never even noticed....hehehe

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

These are actual CSS values for Google page:

margin: 0 auto;
max-width: 1144px;
min-width: 780px;

padding-top: 17px;

They use fixed width.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Good one....LOL
True.
I've never even noticed....hehehe

Neither had I Broni...neither had I. :blush:

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

This is actually pretty amazing.
You look at the very same Google design, tens of times every day and you still don't remember how it looks like...LOL

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

Do`t know about you or Elizabeth. But when searching, my mind is usually elsewhere. Like the PC I`m trouble shooting or the part I`m shopping for.

Rarely ever looked at either side since they are usually advertisements. Most of which are now blocked.

#13 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for your help guys, I agree it is likely to be Google's doing

but why?

Google upset a lot of people by introducing the 'Everything' sidebar but at least they had reasons for doing it. For the company to then put a completely empty sidebar next to the one that already annoys people would be madness.
I also find it a little strange that I can't seem to find any other mention of this on the net and I doubt it's just because I am the first to notice as it's been like that for a few days now.

I have definitely had this problem before and I will keep searching the dark and dusty corners of my computer to see if I can find anything but if you have any other ideas I will try them.

Or if anyone has a reason why Google have done this I would love to hear it.

One last thing. It may or may not be related but for a few days whenever I start typing in a web page my flashing text cursor disappears which leaves me no way of telling where I am if I try to move the cursor or go back to edit something. I know of the option to 'hide the cursor when I start typing' in windows but the flashing cursor always comes back by using the arrow keys or mouse. Nothing I do will bring it back in a web page. Any ideas anyone?

Elizabeth

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

Your best option would be to post at Google forum and ask them.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Your best option would be to post at Google forum and ask them.

'Google forum' and 'best option' in the same sentence.

:hysterical:

That's the funniest thing I have read in ages.

I shall give it a go but on the off chance I fail to get any sort of reply does anyone have any other suggestions?

Or does everyone's screen have the extra space now?

Elizabeth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users