Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No Audio Output Device is installed"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jricha92

jricha92

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

I have a Compaq Presario F767NR with Windows Vista and just yesterday, apparently after a Windows update, I have no audio. The bottom right of the taskbar shows a red x next to the speaker symbol and when you scroll over it says "No Audio Output Device is installed." I've tried every solution suggested for this I've seen on google and nothing seems to work.
-I went to the Compaq site and downloaded the Conexant HD SmartAudio 221 driver but it says it can't download because there is no audio device for this driver found.
-I tried the Compaq website suggested solution which is going to Windows Audio under services.msc and making sure it is started and set to start automatically, this did not help.
-I tried a system restore and it didnt help
-The top suggestion online seemed to be going in to the control panel classic view and disabling then enabling the sound under device manager. However sound or anything similiar is not an option under device manager for me. When i go in to sound under control panel it just says "no audio devices are installed" and there is no option to enable/disable/update anything.

So if anyone has any idea on what i should do here, please help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by jricha92, 16 January 2011 - 09:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-60534-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=2093&product=3682526&sw_lang=

If you downloaded the driver...and then attempted to install it from the desktop...unsuccessfully...I'd have to guess that your soundchip is not working.

I would go into the BIOS and ensure that onboard audio is enabled. I would also take note of any other hardware/BIOS situations that may have developed, the CMOS/RTC battery could be a cause.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-compaq-presario-f700-notebook/

Louis

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

I had a problem a couple of days ago with the dvd driver suddenly going missing or corrupt on my Vista machine.

Was able to solve it by going to Microsoft FixIt Center at http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal
You might give that a try, it looks for quite a few different problems and ended my frustration. :dance:

Good Luck!

#4 jricha92

jricha92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I dont think I'm even remotely skilled enough to attempt to disassemble my computer.

I downloaded the fix it center thing and it just says the problem still exists "Check audio device- not fixed."

#5 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

jricha92,

Sorry the fix it center thing didn't work. :wacko:

If you've checked your BIOS settings as hamluis suggested, then it's probably a hardware issue and the Windows update is just coincidental.

If you're not confident enough in your abilities to attempt opening up the case on your laptop yourself, then I think it's time to find a good repair shop.

#6 jricha92

jricha92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

I can't figure out how to get into bios. I tried hitting esc ctrl alt when the COMPAQ big letters come up like i read online and it gets me to a bios screen but it only flashes for 1 second and then just resumes starting up Windows. ??

#7 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

jricha92

I don't know about COMPAQ as I don't have one, and every model seems to be slightly different.

When you first boot up, or reboot, there's usually a black screen with white writing that flashes on the screen for a short period of time with instructions. On my wife's older HP laptop you have about a second or less to press F2 (Enter Setup) before Windows takes over and boots up. Honestly, looking around in the BIOS settings just now, I didn't see anything dealing with the onboard audio but that doesn't mean you won't find something. Anyway, the opportunity to enter the BIOS settings (Setup) can go by quickly - I had to boot, then reboot twice in order to find out first that it was the F2 key and then get it pressed in time to get to the settings menu.

Maybe someone with more experience with COMPAQ laptops can help from here. I'm about out of ideas.

Good luck,
Bill253

#8 jricha92

jricha92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hello again. Ok guys, my audio had been out since Jan. 15th. I tried a million different things and nothing ever worked. The main suggestion online is going into Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Sound, Video and Game Controllers, however I never had that as an option to choose from under device manager. Well today I'm online and all of a sudden my audio comes on out of the blue. It was a little distorted but who cares about that at this point huh. So i go into Device Manager and sure enough Sound, Video and Game Controllers is all of sudden there with Conexant HD Audio a sub-option to that.

Well, I shut the computer down when I was done and the next time I turn it on BOOM no audio again. And now again there is no option for Sound, Video and Game Controllers under Device Manager.

Does this help idenify the possible problem any?

Thanks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

You can try...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3682526

Download the first two drivers listed (Audio, Chipset), then install the Chipset driver first...then the Audio driver.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users