Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Open With" appears on Windows 7 Bootup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doctortdm

doctortdm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

I've had my Windows 7 laptop for about 5 months, about a month ago upon booting the system the dialog box to choose which program to use to open a file appears (twice). The file listed (in both dialog boxes), I can't find on the system. How to I stop the "Open With" dialog boxes from appearing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

And the file is?

Download & Run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). The message you are getting is likely related to something trying to start with the OS. If you see it in Startup Control Panel, uncheck it.

#3 doctortdm

doctortdm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

Interesting, the file is TD which happens to be my first two initials. I downloaded the program. If I unckeck everything in the HKCU/run then the issue goes away if any one item is checked then the "Open With" happens. However, it is down to only two instances of the dialog box.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Are you comfortable in the registry? If so, navigate to HKCU - Software - Microsoft - Windows - Current Version - Run
Are there any entries that don't look like they belong (in the right pane)? Any incomplete entries? Any you don't recognize?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users