Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

most reliable hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

I have only had one drive fail in 13 years. I see newegg has a lot of failure or doa on a lot of brands. I would like to upgrade from my old 80 gig. Also Western Digital has the green, blue, black and RE. The black has the only 5 year warranty but is it better than any other brand with a 3 year. I see that Seagate has a 3 year warranty but used to have a 5 year. I am wondering why that is. I am not seeking speed, but just reliability and longevity. I also read that the WD Green does not work very well for XP and will eventually corrupt it. I am running XP PRO SP2. I am recycling my sons computer and making it sutable for my wife since it is 5 times faster than my 12 year old machine. It has an athlon 64 3200 cpu with 1.5 gigs of ram. My kids need the latest and greatest hardware but always keep their hard drives. I need a reliable drive so my wife can use it for her business - mostly emails and printing and faxing. I haven't bought a drive in years so I was just wondering if someone who repairs or works on computers all the time would know which brands to stay away from.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

I usually buy Western Digital hard drives since none of my has failed yet. I also have 2 Seagate hard drive which is in working order. How much capacity do you want your hard drive to be?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:52 AM

Personal opinion. Stay away from Hitachi and Maxtor. Maxtor was bought out by Seagate. Unsure if they still use the name or not.

I prefer WD, but others swill say Seagate. All depends on personal experience.

The WD Greens are decent drives if you are concerned about energy consumption. They will spin down after a period of being idle. If you do`t mind slightly slower performance then they are good drives.
IMO, I would only use them as a secondary storage drive for the stated reason. If you have the few extra $$ then go with the Black. If for no other reason then the longer warranty.

Would be interested in any links to articles regarding the Greens corrupting XP. Had never heard that before.

Edited by ThunderZ, 16 January 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

I prefer WD myself, though Ive used other brands-have two hitachis that I like and am currently using.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

I wasn't going to comment...but I have had 3 hard drives fail in the last two years or so...2 of them were WDs, 1 a Hitachi.

I like Samsung drives, they seem to consistently do the job...but I also have Hitachi and Seagate drives working on my systems.

There is no "best", any manufacturer is capable of having drives which are defective or become dysfuntional. Perhaps that's why each of them typically will have the same warranty period and RMA procedures.

Louis

#6 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

In reply to ThunderZ's asking about corrupting Xp. This is a review posted on newegg on the WD Greem 640GB 64mb drive. Thanks guys for your input. I think the WD Black my be the way to go. I dont mind paying a little more for a longer warranty. The reviewer talks about using a jumper for XP. The first review listed on this particular drive talks about it too and notes that the drive does not come with a jumper. I like the idea of green but how much is the cost of adding a jumper to the drive for XP users?

5 out of 5 eggsRating: 5/5Great Drive, just know the limitations

Pros: This is another great drive from WD. Reliable, cool running, and, well, Green. Also extremely fast in windows Vista/7 and Server 2008 OSes for a 5900RPM drive. The huge cache makes up for that slow RPM.

Cons: This is an Advanced Format Drive, which moves the sectors from every 512kb to every 4 megabytes. What does this mean to you? Better error correction ability and faster performance/less fragmentation. BUT, it also means that OSes produced before Vista cannot take advantage of this, and will in turn corrupt themselves while using the drive if the drive is not either periodically aligned or jumpered to the XP setting. This causes serious issues and in turn is why the reviews aren't all that good overall.

Other Thoughts: This is the drive for Vista/7 low power devices/large storage.

Otherwise, don't buy it. It will cause more headaches then its worth. I had to run out and get a 500Gb WD Blue for the client when I found out this wasn't going to work in Home Server (SBS 2003 based) and it just added another complication I didn't need.

#7 TypBlaze1

TypBlaze1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

I've had no failures yet, but I have two Seagates (one internal, one external) that seem like they're struggling, both about 3-5 years old. I never really paid attention to hard drive manufacturers until now, so I can't really give you an assessment.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

not to be a stinkler here, but why reply to a thread that is well over a year old, only to say you cant really offer any real advice anyway. . .just curious.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users