Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System tools 2011

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wdhersh

wdhersh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

I had a run in with this years flavor of "system tools" 2011...possible solution is: I was able to boot into safe mode in windows Xp and restore to the last restore point 24 hours earlier, and then restarted the computer normaly and malwarebytes was then able to find and remove the "invalid startup item" and 3 other infected files.

Edited by wdhersh, 15 January 2011 - 11:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Misaki

Misaki

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:48 AM

Hi,

I had a run in with this years flavor of "system tools" 2011...possible solution is: I was able to boot into safe mode in windows Xp and restore to the last restore point 24 hours earlier, and then restarted the computer normaly and malwarebytes was then able to find and remove the "invalid startup item" and 3 other infected files.

That may perhaps work for you, but it certainly does not apply for everyone. I would try a different approach, such as removing the infected files physcially (there are guides that point you to the specific ones), and of course altering the Registry. It will not be easy to do for a typical computer user though, so I reckon what you did might help someone in a way.

Misaki

#3 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

If it seems go be gone, then great! But if you are still seeing remnants, there is a Bleeping Computer removal guide located here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users