Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Load Windows Xp Start up Disk ISO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 JP2010

JP2010

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi Bleepers..

I am very frustrated. My coputer has a blinking cursor and a black screen. Malware started this, and i rebooted before i was able to remove the malware...to find three errors on a black screen.

ntoskrnl.exe
hal.dll
KDCOM.dll

After i saw this i realized i could not load windows. i went to recovery console and ran chkdsk /r . It seemed to work fine, and found and fixed one or more errors on the volume. I did not exit properly from the recovery console, i just rebooted :(

Now i have a blinkig cursor. I do not have a Windows XP disk, even though my copy on my computer is genuine.

I have a dell xps m1210 notebook.

I attempted to burn the iso file which is a link from the "boot fixes" section, but i am getting nothing to work.

Any suggestions...please! I also set in my BIOS for the Cd/DVD to run first on the boot menu.

Thanks - JP

Edited by JP2010, 15 January 2011 - 08:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

Get an ISO burned, boot from the disc, reformat, that's probably the easiest way. Any new data you get in the future put it on a stick or external. Sincerely, LT Dan
Elvis has left the buidling...

#3 JP2010

JP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

That's not very good advice Lt dan... I need to fix my computer, i was looking for tech support or suggestions for the ISO of Windows XP Start Up Disk. I dont want to reformat unless i have no other option. I mentioned that I attempted to burn an iso of the linked file in the "boot fixes" section which is pinned in the windows xp section. I will try get a real copy windows xp and try access the recovery console.

Edited by JP2010, 15 January 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

Let Me "GOOGLE" that for you......

Just kidding! Hope the links help......

EDIT: The tutorial >>>HERE<<< may be just what the Dr. ordered for you!!!
2nd EDIT: Google is your FRIEND!!!!

Let us know. :busy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 January 2011 - 01:42 AM.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:37 AM

Hope I'm not wearing out my welcome or :deadhorse: but here's s'more links

Hope this helps :thumbup2:

#6 JP2010

JP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Lol

#7 JP2010

JP2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:05 AM

I had the recovery console installed long ago but thanks for the tutorial I read long ago as well. I followed correctly - my main issue is I cannot get my cd/burner which is one of the bios bootable drives ( which is selected to load first ) to recogniz the CDs I have tried to boot up with. I have made multiple image CDs with the RC iso, and the a few other ISOs which are supposed to work to get my recovery console back up. No luck yet. I don't think burning the iso to disc is an issue unless I am totally blind to a setting. I have used roxio for years and other "iso burners". None of them load, is it due to the image only file ? Is a windows xp cd my only other option? I know my data is good minus-the malware... Which includes the ntoskrnl.exe , Hal.dll and KdCOM.dll....I need. To fix the bot sector from what I understand with fixmbr, however I cannot do that with out being able to access the recovery console. Blinking cursor.........this sux-

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

I do not have a Windows XP disk, even though my copy on my computer is genuine

Contact the manufacturer. I was in a similar pickle with my old Dell Inspiron laptop a year ago (the warranty expired in 2007) and not only did they send me an OEM reinstallation disk (SP2, which I was able to slipstream SP3 & reinstall my OS twice) free of charge, they sent me CD's for 2 End-Of-Life programs that came factory installed...Cyberlink Power DVD & Roxio Creator DE (Dell OEM edition)...also free, and shipped them Fed-Ex, again free.... I had them all less than 24 hrs after e-mailing them.:wink:

It's worth a shot, IMHO. Sorry about the confusion re: ISO to CD to boot. I'm afraid any advice I could offer in that regard would be MUCH less than expert advice. Sounds like a case for Elise 25 (one of the mods here) or a few other expert in this type situation I can't recall right now. Be patient though, these guys & gals are very very good. :lmao:

...but thanks for the tutorial I read long ago as well. I followed correctly

Hmmm. I detect a bit of Snarkasm, correct me if I'm wrong. However, that's not the impression I gathered by what you said here:

...fixed one or more errors on the volume. I did not exit properly from the recovery console, i just rebooted

Have you considered posting a topic in Am I infected? What do I do?

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 January 2011 - 08:25 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

<<I attempted to burn the iso file which is a link from the "boot fixes" section, but i am getting nothing to work.>>

Tell us exactly what you did...any error messages...and what happened when you tried to use this CD. Generally, an .iso file must be burned using a particular type of program...in order to convert it into a bootable CD.

Blinking cursor/black screen...generally means that the MBR is screwed up...normally overcome by running the fixmbr command from the XP Recoveery Console. This is not true for Dell systems, see Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx .

Louis

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Malware topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic374227.html

Now that your topic is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MR Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users