Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to start with making website

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

Hello,

I have some friends that would like me to build a Website for there company. They are willing to pay me for it. I am good with computers and Cad/Cam programming... but never tried building a website. Is there a good place to start learning how to build it? How much should I charge for doing this? The site would be for a sales company that sells cutting tools for Machine Shops.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petergm

petergm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hello

I have been making websites for years now.
Building a website is not that hard if you have got the right webhost to help you.

Bulding a website is this simple:
1. Get the best host (I would defenetly recomend Martensenweb.com)
2. if you choose Martensenweb.com They will teach you basicly how to make a site
3. If you do not choose Martensenweb.com You will have to be really good at programming languages such as HTML and php.

Over All It is just about getting the right host.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

@petergm, I have to disagree. While creating a website may be simple, creating a website that is effective, usable, and sustainable is not, and there is no web host in the world that will make it simple.

@stinkfist, with all due respect, being 'good with computers' and 'Cad/Cam programming' does not equate to being able to create a website suitable for online commerce. In fact, if they are truly your friends, then decline to do the job. You simply are not yet capable of the job, and you are more likely to cost them money than save them anything. A poorly designed website will hurt business.

I appreciate that you want to learn how to build web pages. All evidence to the contrary, it is much more involved than it seems. Sure, any 12 year old can make a web page, but they look exactly like a 12 year old made them. There are tons of places to learn HTML, so spend some time learning on your own. A simple search for 'HTML tutorials' will give you about all you can handle.

How much should I charge for doing this?

Developers get paid based on their experience and site requirements. You have no experience, and should therefore not consider charging anything. How are your friends going to feel when you charge them money for an ineffective site? How long are they going to wait until you know enough to deliver them an effective website?

Do what you want; that is my input on the matter.

Edited by groovicus, 16 January 2011 - 02:28 PM.

#4 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:43 AM

@petergm, I have to disagree. While creating a website may be simple, creating a website that is effective, usable, and sustainable is not, and there is no web host in the world that will make it simple.

@stinkfist, with all due respect, being 'good with computers' and 'Cad/Cam programming' does not equate to being able to create a website suitable for online commerce. In fact, if they are truly your friends, then decline to do the job. You simply are not yet capable of the job, and you are more likely to cost them money than save them anything. A poorly designed website will hurt business.

I appreciate that you want to learn how to build web pages. All evidence to the contrary, it is much more involved than it seems. Sure, any 12 year old can make a web page, but they look exactly like a 12 year old made them. There are tons of places to learn HTML, so spend some time learning on your own. A simple search for 'HTML tutorials' will give you about all you can handle.

How much should I charge for doing this?

Developers get paid based on their experience and site requirements. You have no experience, and should therefore not consider charging anything. How are your friends going to feel when you charge them money for an ineffective site? How long are they going to wait until you know enough to deliver them an effective website?

Do what you want; that is my input on the matter.

Thanks for the input. The more I look into building a website my self the less I want to try. Do you have a recommendations on a place or person that could build a site for a good price?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

I can't even imagine how many web developers there may be; find someone local that one can meet with face to face. The cost is going to depend on what sort of capabilities are required, location, etc., so it is hard to say what constitutes a good price. The best way to find someone is usually through word of mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users