Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans and power consumption

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

i just bought a cooler master HAF 932 case and it has a rear 140mm fan that plugs into the motherboard as well as i just bought a Zalman 9700 heat sink and 110mm fan for the processor which also plugs into the motherboard. these two are replacing a tiny 70mm stock cpu fan and a rear fan that plugged directly into the power supply. current motherboard is an Asus a8n-sli.

my question is this: do the bigger fans draw more power? how do i know if it's too much for the motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

The fan still uses the same size connector plug, therefore using the same amount of power, basically, its a small increase if any and it wont bother your system. It would affect your power supply, which will be fine.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

You have your amperage listed on the fan...............and yes, it does pull more juice, but it is negligable in the big scheme of things.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:01 AM

As stated by Dpunisher. Check and compare the amperage.

Larger fans generally spin slower so may draw no more then the original fan. Adding two for one is where you may see a minimal draw increase.

Actually you bring up a valid point which I had never thought of when building. But, with one exception, I only run self-built. The PS used is always rated 25% or more then the parts specs total
say is needed. This leaves room for upgrades.....including fans. Should I have underestimated the cooling needs of the build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users