Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IObit strikes again

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Bill Mullins wrote a piece on IObit's Advanced System Care version 3.7 which just came out this past December. Apparently during the install process, one is greeted with the ever familiar "Install random-awesomeness-crap-fill-in-the-blank toolbar?" prompt. Usually, on legit and ethical business's software, you select "Hell NO!" and it doesn't install. In this case however, it does anyway. Bill Pytlovany's WinPatrol saved Mr. Mullins some grief by alerting him to the changes the installer was trying to make. You can read the blog post in all its glory here:

http://billmullins.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/iobits-advanced-systemcare-free-3-installs-spyware-and-more/

My $.02: Unsurprised. It appears that business ethics in China (at least at IOBit HQ) are optional...
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Good grief! Tells it not to install, it installs anyway, and he cannot even remove it using System Restore.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

For those that think this sounds familiar: IObit Security 360 had a similar "problem" more or less a year ago, when they bundled a conduit toolbar that couldn't be uninstallled either. A summary from back then can be found here: about.com

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

For those that think this sounds familiar: IObit Security 360 had a similar "problem" more or less a year ago, when they bundled a conduit toolbar that couldn't be uninstallled either. A summary from back then can be found here: about.com

regards myrti

Not to mention this........

Recently, China-based IObit software was called out by Malwarebytes for allegedly stealing signature definitions from the Malwarebytes database. After suspicions were initially raised, Malwarebytes laid several traps....

I ESPECIALLY enjoyed reading how the good folks @ MBAM exposed these FRAUDS.... :thumbup2:

...One of those was creating a signature for a completely fake, made-up detection named "Rogue.AVCleanSweepPro". Sure enough, within a couple of weeks, IObit had the exact signature string for this made-up detection in their own database.

....from the same article myrti linked to.

#5 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

Union_Thug, that is correct. A little over a year ago the news hit that they were using without permission the MBAM database. I reported on that in Nov 09 here. So this is just more stuff to add to the growing list of grievances against a would-be security company. Like I said, proof that business ethics are optional over at their HQ.

Edit to fix link.

Edited by Galadriel, 16 January 2011 - 01:37 AM.

I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here

#6 Misaki

Misaki

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:34 AM

Hi,

IOBit has always been a controversial program. I can't believe why a lot of people are still using it. Anyway, it appears as if the content is no longer there. Is there an alternative site?

Misaki

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:47 AM

@Misaki:

Google's cached version: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tU_CFt3endMJ:billmullins.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/iobits-advanced-systemcare-free-3-installs-spyware-and-more/+iobits-advanced-systemcare-free-3-installs-spyware-and-more&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Hello and :welcome: to bleepin' puter!

#8 Misaki

Misaki

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:57 AM

Hi,

Thank you for the link and the welcome, Union_Thug. :) After reading, it looks like only Revo Uninstaller can successfully remove it. Though, this is a little worrying.

I can tell you, that so far, despite running the uninstaller, I have found several hundred traces of these programs on my test system’s Hard Drive. I can assure you, my comfort level with respect to a true uninstall – is nil.

Which is which? :unsure:

Misaki

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

You're welcome. :busy:

The blogger never said Revo worked, (a few in the comments section did) he was referring to IOBit's own uninstaller tool.

While it's true that IObit does provide an uninstaller (which actually works – more on that follows)........ t

You're still correct----In one sentence he says IOBit's uninstaller WORKS...IObit does provide an uninstaller...which actually works... 2 paragraphs later he says it DOESN'T work..... I can tell you, that so far, despite running the uninstaller, I have found several hundred traces of these programs on my test system's Hard Drive...

Posted Image :crazy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 January 2011 - 07:33 AM.

#10 Uluru_2

Uluru_2

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

I have heard of these incidents, stealing the MalwareBytes signature DB was downright illegal, suppose being based in China made it difficult to sue Iobit ? as that certainly would have been warranted at the time.

I have to say I've used the software for years to check my services tweaks.
About four yours ago it was called something completly different, and was a good tool. Must admit have not had uninstall probs, or toolbar install probs, although I'm sure some people do. I must have a third party software which has killed such naughty behaviour.

runsonLinux.jpg
Been a Windows User for many years. I'm having a Linux holiday. Be secure, enjoy your time online. :thumbup2:

#11 IObit

IObit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

IObit Never Force Users to Install Toolbar

In recent released IObit products, there is an option to choose installing IObit Toolbar with Yahoo! Search, to let our users quickly access security and system functions, in the installation process. You can easily uncheck the toolbar, ignore it, and go on with IObit products installation. So, if you uncheck the toolbar box, no toolbar or search engine modification will happen. We find some malicious articles, may from our evil competitors, claim that “Despite my instructions NOT to install – the application continued to attempt to install both programs to Internet Explorer, AND Firefox”. This is totally mis-leading and wrong. Everyone can perform the test and see who is lying.

Moreover, IObit programs will not interfere with the system restore function. Most often, when users failed to restore their computer to a previous date, they can go to Safe Mode to restore their computer with success as some anti-virus programs may block the restore function.

IObit is a reliable software vendor and our software is 100% clean without any spyware, adware, or virus. Our software is tested as "100% safe and secure" by many famous 3rd parties like VirusTotal, CNET, and MajorGeeks.

Just enjoy downloading, installing, and using them in your PC with confidence.

Thanks.
IObit
press@iobit.com

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

IObit Never Force Users to Install Toolbar

BLAH BLA BLAH...ignore it, and go on with IObit installation.,BLAH BLAH BLAHThis is totally mis-leading and wrong BLAH BLAH BURP BELCH go to Safe Mode to restore BLAH BLAH URP SNORT BELCH IObit is a reliable software vendor URP SNORT BLAH BLAH
Thanks.
IObit
press@iobit.com

miekiemoes @ Malwarebytes' says: say hello to my lil' frien' !!!

Thanks for stopping by. Don't let the door hit you on the wa...OOPSIE!! Sorry, too late! My Bad.

PS: Maybe you can relay a message from me to the THIEF Chief Executive Officer---Have you considered a company name-change from IObit to IObit--THE DUST :whistle:

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 January 2011 - 01:28 AM.

#13 Elandfan

Elandfan

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

Hi guys

I am a little confused. I have read the article about the installment of toolbar in Advanced SystemCare, but when I tried to ignore the toolbar when the progress of installing Asc is on, it keeps working. And I found no existence of yahoo toolbar in my PC?!

Then I use windows to uninstall asc, it was successfully removed, do all you guys experience the situation the author mentioned in the blog?
I just checked the blog again, it is gone without any announcement or what,And the author himself can not provide more authoritative comment or support.

Another question, if it contains spyware or malware, can it be listed in Cnet for such long time?

Awaiting your answers, thanks

#14 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:42 AM

While I appreciate that you took time out of your busy schedule to scour the web looking for articles to debunk, the content of your rebuttal leaves me somewhat on my appetite.

We find some malicious articles, may from our evil competitors,

The article in question here was written by a longtime supporter of your products. I doubt that classifies as "evil competitor". I have no stake in or against you other than the fact that your company has shown time and again that it does not shy away from IP theft as can be clearly seen by just looking at the logs your ASC program produces and comparing them with say, Hijack This. This isn't even considering the MBAM database debacle of last year... in which you all didn't make any friends in the security community and failed to actually address the issue in any sort of satisfactory manner. So no, I won't take your word for it. I will test on my own system as soon as I've had some sleep (it's almost 3AM here as I write this) and make up my own mind. I do have to say that Mr. Mullins piece was quite damning.

Elandfan, you can clearly view the 'author' of the article's evidence by going to the cached copy and actually reading through it (including the comments section). As for the CNET comment, you can't be serious? CNET is a company, out for profit and they will promote whatever products get thrown their way as long as they can make a buck or two. They aren't by any means authoritative either.

All of the above just screams lack of business ethics... and for a pseudo security company, that's a reputation killer.

#15 zetagg

zetagg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

It seemed the author had removed the article for some reason... don't get it why he did so...there is no statement or explanations.

I don't know why you guys hate iobit so much, for me their software helped a lot. You don't like toolbar? (neither do I), just ignore it. What's the matter with spyware? OKOKOK... you must come up with the database issue again, a company like... cannot be trusted... once a thief...blabla.... lack of ethics...blabla...

Galadriel, I don't mean to argue but, if we cannot trust CNET because it is a company, what would you like to suggest we can trust? a blog author? can we trust you? Sorry, you don't even do the test yourself before starting this thread. You are blaming iobit lack of business ethics, what's the matter with where the company is located? Is it ethical?

Anyway, I'm out of this, let the truth speak...I may be back for the test result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users