Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace Vista w. XP?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adfergie

adfergie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

If I'm unhappy with Vista should I replace it with XP Professional? If so, assuming I'd be happy to totally lose Vista, should I then install XP as a clean install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Whether or not you revert to XP is your choice - nobody can tell you what to do (though I have no idea why you wouldn't want to keep Vista). Anyway, if you want to use XP you need to boot to the XP CD, delete any existing partitions, create and format one or more partitions, and install the OS. Be sure you have XP drivers available for your system before doing anything. After installing the OS, install those drivers (starting with the Chipset driver).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

I guess that I don't understand why you would replace Vista with an older O/S that is becoming more unsupported each day...when there is a more recent O/S that has better driver support and various other features...available in Win 7.

Louis

#4 adfergie

adfergie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Louis and thanks Allan. I am having problems with Vista and I thought that the general concensus on that OS system was that it was crap. Right now I'm trying to get it to recognize a Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go stick. The OS takes over, complains about a script reading program and won't read the driver software. Guys, can you give me any ideas because this s**t is supposed to be plug'n'play. The stick does however run when I plug it into my old laptop which runs XP. All the best,
Alan.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

Have you checked the Virgin Mobile website for newer\Vista compatible drivers?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Thanks Louis and thanks Allan. I am having problems with Vista and I thought that the general concensus on that OS system was that it was crap.
Alan.

There are those who don't like Vista. More often than not the problems are with the user, not the OS. Personally I find Vista to be an excellent OS. I have systems that run XP, Vista, and W7 and have no problems with any of them. Like anything else, there is a learning curve when working with something new.

#7 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

most of the problems I've found with vista and 7 are very much the OS. "the problem is the user, not the OS" is a total cop-out.

as for why someone would install an "old", "unsupported" OS, um... let's see. compatibility has been a real madhouse since vista came along, and there's been some rather dumb changes, like the removal of the "file types" dialog that allowed you to do anything useful with file associations without registry diving or having to get a third party thing... and the very fact it's old and unsupported means there's less malware being developed with it in mind, because your average malware putz is looking to mess with the largest group possible, which implies going for all the people keeping up with the "newest and greatest" etc etc.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

You can do whatever you like...it is user choice :).

You asked for opinions...you don't have to agree with them or disagree with them, they were provided in response to your request.

I've never used Vista, so I can't comment on it from personal experience. But, one of my closest friends has been using it exclusively for years with no problems and he is not exactly what I would consider a "knowledgeable user". My only experience with using it occurs when I visit him and I've not found anything atrocious about it.

I guess that I'll never understand...why ask a question if you really don't want honest, unbiased answers? Neither Allan nor I have a vested interest in anything other than...trying to answer the question asked. We respect your right to disagree, ignore, etc.

Louis

#9 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

I to like Vista I have a laptop an my main pc running win7 one desktop running vista. My laptop gets constant BSOD`s an my main pc has got them as well, vista has never crashed on me without being my fault. As for xp I think most will agree it was the king of OS`s in its day but if you plan on moving forward in technology you must dump xp soon. Its outdated and has limited support that will cease entirely soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users