Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At startup, windows stuck and continuously beeps

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ossy

ossy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Suddenly my computer beeps constantly at startup. It freezes at the 'ASUS' screen. I thought that there may be a sticky key....but I don't see anything stuck and I wiggled each key (i case I could free it - even though I can't visually see anything). I have to shut down my laptop because I can't get past that screen. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Try to reseat RAM and video card (if any).
Try starting computer with 1 RAM stick at a time.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

try removing yer cmos battery, let her sit for few minutes, make sure yer boot config is set sometimes check see if floppy first, cd then hdd, if all that's ok, like they said here, remove memory stick at a time, if still beepen see if you can get access to a bios update or reinstall from manufacturer site, sometimes they let ya make a cd instead of doing it through floppy, just quicker through cd, if yer still getten the beep, don't know if multiple hard drives, just undo one thing at a time, make sure all fans worken, all cables, etc connected snug on the board, lemme know, sincerely lt dan
Elvis has left the buidling...

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

try removing yer cmos battery, let her sit for few minutes, make sure yer boot config is set sometimes check see if floppy first, cd then hdd, if all that's ok, like they said here, remove memory stick at a time, if still beepen see if you can get access to a bios update or reinstall from manufacturer site, sometimes they let ya make a cd instead of doing it through floppy, just quicker through cd, if yer still getten the beep, don't know if multiple hard drives, just undo one thing at a time, make sure all fans worken, all cables, etc connected snug on the board, lemme know, sincerely lt dan

What?

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

Possible fan failure. The fan should be visible through one set of vent holes on the bottom. If not then there is an exhaust port, probably on one of the sides.

Can you see the fan spinning/ Or, do you feel any air exiting the case?

#6 ossy

ossy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

Since I posted this, I managed to get it to start in safe mode. (I took the battery out first)
I don't know if that was a coincidence or part of the problem. Any suggestions on what to check for while in safe mode?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

Look in your manual to see if there is a low battery audible warning. This could be what your beeping is.

Please post the model of this ASUS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ossy

ossy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

I just checked the device manager, in case I was lucky enough to see something odd.
I found that the 'Consumer IR device' is NOT working properly.
The driver is updated.
I also saw that there is an issue with 'security processor loader driver' under non-plug and play drivers
??? Anyone know what this means?

#9 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

NOTE:
You posted while I was composing, so the following may be moot,,,,

Reinstall the battery (if not done already). Then start the machine in Safe Mode again.

Run a file check on the OS.

METHOD 1
---------------------------------------

If you have an XP CD:

Click START, RUN, type in:

sfc /purgecache

(This ensures that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and files which may be infected/damaged with malware, or are corrupted, are not copied from your drive. Some of the files which are restored/replaced may need MS Updates applied. If sfc replaces any such files, you will have to reinstall updates for those files. If you have Automatic Updates active, this will happen automatically.)

Then type in:

sfc /scannow

Have your XP CD handy.

METHOD 2
---------------------------------------

If you do not have an XP CD:

Click START, RUN, type in:

sfc /scannow

Post back with your results.

Edited by Dan Penny, 21 January 2011 - 12:26 PM.

It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#10 ossy

ossy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

This is a model Asus G50VT, I'm looking for my manual.
Just a note, I almost always use it with the wall adapter. Not sure if this is good for the battery, but it's how I've been using it.

#11 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

Laptop batteries have a "memory". They should be used until the machine tells you that it should be recharged.
It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

This is a model Asus G50VT, I'm looking for my manual.
Just a note, I almost always use it with the wall adapter. Not sure if this is good for the battery, but it's how I've been using it.

There is no harm in always using the wall adapter.

#13 ossy

ossy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info on battery use. I will change my habits, for sure.
As for the manual, it says nothing more than the usual audio warning.
I also just ran the sfc /scannow. We're do I find the results? It just brought me back to the desktop after completion.

#14 ossy

ossy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

Not to get off topic, but should the battery be used until prompted to charge?
Or is it OK to use the wall adapter?
Do I need to remove the battery when using the wall adapter?
Thanks.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.

Here's everything that you wanted to know about lithium ion batteries but were afraid to ask.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users